Connecting Bevel node to Normal of Principled BSDF to create smoothing between unconected meshes?

Hi,

I recently asked an artist on ArtStation about how he achieves the smoothing between two seemingly unconnected meshes (between the limbs and the body) on this post:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8lQqVq

He said “You put a bevel node in the normal map of a principled shader. All the meshes need to be combined as a single object for the intersecting parts to work.”

I’ve been trying to replicate the effect in cycles for a couple of hours and I can get some smoothing happening, but to nowhere near the extent of the smoothing effect in the posted artwork.

Does anyone know what I could be missing here?

Thanks!

I’m not sure about that technique, but if you’re just looking for the outcome, here’s what I’d do:

2 Likes

That’s amazing! A solution that works with separate objects and in Eevee. Thanks so much!

You probably have to play with it a bit. I use data transfers of normals sometimes, but not for your exact purpose, and this is just thrown together, not super tested or anything. Just wanted to make sure you knew there were other things you could do…