connecting chest and legs.

Hello guys, i have some problems with connect chest and legs. I tought on something like that http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/thoa.jpg/ but its look’s pretty bad http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/bake.jpg/ at final result, have you got any idea’s for diffrent connect betwen leg’s and chest, meaby i should start modelling from chest?

sry for english and thx for replay;)

Is that the 2 meshes? Ctrl j to join. Try to get the vertex count to match top and bottom. Just put them together you can adjust as you go. If you learn to retopo I think it helps to place the mesh with better topology . You can do it latter.
Id change the mesh to this. You can always fix it latter.

Your anatomy and topology are off. From an anatomy standpoint, legs are as thick as the torso and almost 1/2 as wide. Your legs are really skinny and stuck at the bottom of the buttock when really the butt muscles merge smoothly into the legs like the deltoids merge into the arm. You need to understand the structure of the muscles that connect the legs to the pelvis as this is part of what drives the appearance of this section of the body.

Your second problem is your topology, which I suspect is a problem because of the anatomy of your character.

Check out these images taken from the “Blenderella” model. I recommend that you look at your image/topology side-by-side to these images to get an understanding of where you have gone wrong. It is possible that you want skinny cartoon-legs stuck to the bottom of your character, but this leads to an exaggeration of the anatomy so your model should still be related to the images.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7150710/pelvis-front.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7150710/pelvis-back.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7150710/pelvis-three-quarter.jpg

Yesterday i tried many way’s to connect that legs and chest and came up with something like that. I used a little sculpting and added subivision modifier, what you think about final result?

Attachments

That depends on what you are going to use the model for. If that is the final pose and you are never going to change it or animate it, then you can call it a day. However, if you try to animate that leg then you are going to get a hard, flat crease where that perfectly horizontal line is at the top of the leg. That will probably have some serious pinching artifacts if you try to move the leg around.

I’m not sure if the legs are part of the same mesh as the body, but I don’t see a good reason for them to be a separate mesh from the body. If you plan to have the legs come off, then you should keep them separate, but if they are going to stay connected then you will save yourself some extra work if you connect the meshes. If you don’t connect them then you have to duplicate modifier settings on both object and you will have to do extra work if you tweak one of the meshes to go into the other mesh and line them back up.

That’s bad, i want animate that later, but i cant fully anderstand you cos my english sux, so if you could write again but in easier way, i will be thankful. Meaby lets try do this at the point’s.
So:
1What exactly i’m doing wrong, are my leg’s should be seperated? I mean they should not to go down in one place, like i did it?
2…and if this is the probelm, how to create connection betwen legs and chest, i seen on tutorial’s guys who first model chest, and in that chest they make shape of leg’s and after that they extrude that region, shoud i do that thing on my model?

I belive i’m really difficult case to help:P

Is your body a separate mesh from the legs? The fact that your screen shots just show the edges for the legs make me think that the legs are not part of the body, they are just put next to the body.

Look at the .blend file that I have attached to this post. The blue box looks like the same geometry as the red box. However, if you click on them you can see that the blue box is actually 2 separate blue boxes that have been placed right next to each other. The red box is 1, solid object.

I recommend that if your legs are not part of the body then you should join them. To do this

• Clear all selections
  • Select your legs
  • Hold <shift> and select your body
  • Hit Ctrl+J

This will merge all the geometry from the legs into the body and make 1 mesh. You will then have to manually go connect the body vertices to the leg vertices with edges and faces.

2…and if this is the probelm, how to create connection betwen legs and chest, i seen on tutorial’s guys who first model chest, and in that chest they make shape of leg’s and after that they extrude that region, shoud i do that thing on my model?

I belive i’m really difficult case to help:P

That is the way that I have seen legs extruded from the body. The important thing for animating the leg is that the legs connect to the body at about a 45 degree angle running from the crotch to about the iliac crest. Note the images of the model that I posted. Notice how from the thigh down, the “bands” across her legs are fairly even, but up by the hip the “bands” are wider toward the outside of the leg and smaller toward the inside of the leg.

Attachments

separate.blend (343 KB)

Of course my legs and body are not seperated, its one object;)

Attachments

The first biped model that I tried to do was chopped into at least 8 different pieces with shrink wrap modifiers to hold them together. If there is a wrong way to try to model a person then I think I’ve tried it at least once. My first model also had similar topology to your model, which is how I know that you are going to be unhappy with what happens to your model when you try to move the arms and the legs.

So how in the end should i connect the leg with chest to animate this later clear and without deformes?:slight_smile:

Unfortunately, there is no short answer to that question. The shortest that I can come up with is to find good models that are done correctly and make your topology follow those models. In your case you could look at the images I posted above showing a good model and build similar structures into your model.

Specifically that line that runs horizontally from the inside of of the thigh to the the outside of the hip should actually run from the inside of the thigh to somewhere close to the iliac crest.

The real answer is that when you can answer these questions you will “understand topology and edge-flow”. Making models that can deform correctly is the primary reason that modelers worry about ‘edge flow’. ‘Edge flow’ is placing your vertices, edges, and faces so that they approximate the form you want and there are defined lines of edges in all the places where the model will bend.

To be able to do that you need to know 2 things. (1) You need an understanding of the anatomy you are modeling. If you have not studied the human body then you don’t have a good understanding of where and how the leg actually bends when somebody moves. If you don’t understand how the body bends then you will not get your edges in the correct places and you will get bad deforms. (2) You need a technical understanding of how to build a mesh so that you can place edges and edge-loops where you want them.

The only way I know of to learn anatomy is to study it. I’ve been doing 2d figure drawing for a few years now so I already have an understanding of human anatomy. Look at lots of pictures of naked people and then draw lots of pictures of naked people and you will be going in the right direction.

For (2), I just watched some “how to model…” videos on YouTube and I got the “Blenderilla” DVD to study how the pros did the technical work of building out these meshes so that the edges landed in the right spots.

The ‘short answer’ (but not really helpful answer) is that your edge flow needs to follow the natural bend points on the body.

Ok, that’s all what i want to know, thankyou for you consideration, your advices was very helpful and i’m sure i will take them into account. Take care:)