Constellating_2x24

Now feels like a time where I should be cocooning, wrapping my consciousness in loving comfort, hunkering down with soup. Now does not feel like the time of year where I dedicate precious Survive The Winter energy to… goal setting.
Ismatu Gwendolyn

Though that quote resonates with me more than ever as managed to catch a cold on the 1st of January, it is an appropriate time to reset and worldbuild anew.

Dedications for the next 50 days

:earth_africa: Worldbuild Daily

No matter the circumstances, allocate at least 10mins/day to visual, aural, and written worldbuilding. Queer ancient stories, reshape futurisms, and whatever else feels just to the tomorrow self- but do not break the streak.

:framed_picture: Storytelling > Aesthetic

Get away from grand animation, and focus on telling better stories, better. Right now, animation is too costly of time. Still images, sounds, writing- any of these can create a convincing story. Quit sacrificing identity for image.

:potted_plant: Make a Living

Begin earning with my passion by the end of February- get my first $500. At least $100 by January. This will allow, beyond financial stability, for a mutually accountable community that will take me to new heights of creative work. Environment is everything, to me.

:shamrock: Sustainable Action Only

Living through a prolonged power outage has shown: my creativity is reliant fully on technology. From now onwards, create off the grid, and simply share online. My work will be not restrained to electricity. Don’t get stuck in posthuman suffering.

Concrete Action

:sparkles: 10 mins of writing, 10 mins of illustrating, 10 mins of composing/sound design per day. No matter what, get it done- this is the daily mantra, prayer, sunrise that marks my commitment to the grandeur future.

:sparkles: 30mins of learning 2D imaging. Improve my contour, anatomy, scale, movement, visual memory, plein air, value, and color (digitally) skills. Again, purpose is to be able to depict vibrant words with moving life, not lifeless stills. Create motion.

:sparkles: 1 ambient animation/week. Contribute 10-20mins/day, with 3-5 days for painting, and 3-4 days for animating.

:sparkles: 10 pages of comic per week- to arrive at 70 by end of this personal season. This is the most direct storytelling I can engage in right now.

:sparkles: 1 Composition/week to go along with my ambient animations, when time allows. This also will only get 10-20mins/day, after all other commitments are set.

all of this is to be balanced with 90mins of writing/day and my full-time job (and rest and love)

:yellow_heart:

Wait, what about blender?
Still to be used! But, only as an augmentation of my canvas, not the canvas itself.

:sparkles: onwards, to a better present :sparkles:

1 Like

Week 1/7

rating: :yellow_heart:

Daily Documentation

J2: pose sketches, pencil sketches (undocumented), storysketch
poor bastard, he wanted to cook the cat for us

2mins each, 3 total

J3: pose sketches, quick animation (undocumented), nausicaa study
all the poses so far!

when she discovers the murder of her father

J4: Poses, Nausicaa, Hands, 30min of story development for my 10pg comic!

hands

poses

animation study:

J5: [offline] hand and body drawings, plus another Nausicaa study

J6: Learned a lot of hand studies!

J7: more on hand studies, not much to showcase yet.

Highlights: all the hands!

Reflection:

J4: new commitment: within 2 weeks, learn to draw like Kim Jung Gi
*J16: didn’t realize I’m a whole week behind here. I’ve been sharing my progress on various media outlets, but have abandoned a lot here. Not good- I am indeed inconsistent in my efforts. I forget how helpfully-accountable this community is to me.

Onwards: Still committed to mastering a lot of drawing fundamentals by end of this week. I’ve moved through hands, and have been practicing faces this week. I want to increase my dedication, but there is so many other things happening in my life, already- will ponder more on this in the next entry!

2 Likes

Excited to follow your progress this year! Although I do hope that “within 2 weeks, learn to draw like Kim Jung Gi” is sarcasm :laughing:

2 Likes

Not sarcasm, but an intentionally unreachable goal. Of course I won’t get there, but how close can I get?

1 Like

Not a lot of content to show yet- a lot of small sketches that I don’t (yet) want to showcase. I’ll transition to weekly updates. Goals for this week (through thursday):

• ArtProf’s ArtDare- create 2/4 entries
  • Weekend Challenge- complete by end of tomorrow
  • Finish Neil Geiman’s Masterclass on storytelling
  • Get 1/2 done w/ the 11 second challenge entry

That’s all. Anything beyond is optional- these are all great venues for creation.

:sparkles: Let’s get to it! A bigger reflection, like from last week, to come later…

Oopsie- two weeks have gone by! Got as far as I anticipated, which is good <3

Here’s a ~6min study of one of KJG’s sketchbook pages:

A sketch update: working on a small art contest/showcase contribution!

Back at it- after a month of re-examining my aspirations and histories, I am strongly recommitted to making a living from art, and animation in particular.

I will continue to use primarily 2D as my storytelling medium, but am very excited to keep exploring 3D as appropriate.

This will be mostly a space for my WIPs and reflections. All finished projects will be posted separately.

Spent multiple hours yesterday learning to create 3D scenes w/ GreasePencil only, and worked thoroughly on aesthetics. I like where I’m going.