Constellating sketches

Hi, and welcome to my (endless) learning journey.

Latest Finished Project (12/20)

I have been involved in artistic craft of various kind throughout my life. Recently, I’ve realized that my dream is to alter global artistic discourse by lessening value of entertainment in animation, and instead moving towards critical engagement with contemporary issues. Movies of Tarkovsky and Tsai Ming-liang, in particular, have inspired me to step on this journey.

I believe that creating independent animations in Blender is the quickest path towards achieving that, at the moment.

However, I am not highly experienced in either software or sculpting time, so this seems like the best starting point for public visibility. This will be my sole artistic outlet until I feel like the creations I dream of are in alignment, at least somewhat, with what comes from underneath my pencil.

Let’s start by outlining my grander goals:

Immediate (habits):

• Commit 20 minutes M-F and 2 hours Sat-Sun
  • Prioritize learning of film and animation and Blender above all other activities
  • Share my progress here, or lack thereof. Daily.

10 weeks

• Create an “album” of ambient animated shots, 1-3sec in length with original sfx + music
    – this necessitates learning composition, lightning, color, and many other “fundamentals” that are not necessary for animation but crucial for 2D art. publishing this album also requires me to dive back into composition and sound design.

15 weeks

• Bring character design and camera motion into the album above; learn to animate characters
    – this necessitates expanding the environments to allow some camera motion, plus additional sound design techniques.

30 weeks

• Go public with a 2-3min animation clip that will incorporate camera motion, environmental and character animation, sound, and music
    – this necessitates a level of preparedness for entering the broader social media world, storytelling skills, the ability to create an interconnected series of shots that convey a coherent message?..

50 weeks

• To acquire a level of public visibility enough for revenue generation in a way that sustains my artistic freedom (i.e. turn this from a hobby into a Patreon side hustle)

To the person I will be tomorrow: good luck. You’ve got a long journey ahead of you, but you have the will, the courage, and the resources to get there, and perhaps even glimpse beyond.

Lastly, thank you (ahead of time) to all those who will support me along the way: I know, already, that this community is incredibly kind and encouraging, and feel so lucky to have a space here. Can’t wait to share my passion with all of you here!

10 Likes

Here’s what I’ll be working on in the foreseeable future: shots from my favorite film/animation reimagined. This will help me learn about emulating lots of different aesthetics.

Here’s the opening of “goodbye, dragon’s inn”:

Here is my take on it. Only blocked out major objects, next I will play around with camera settings because there seem to be a lot of perspective issues that have to do with that?..
untitled

5 Likes

Welcome to BA Sketchbooks! Excited to follow your progress and updates here. :slight_smile: And Tarkovsky is great. Looking forward to where the road takes you.

2 Likes

I will attempt to structure this retrospectively from here onwards!

Yesterday I spent quite too much time looking into tutorials that ultimately didn’t show me much I already didn’t know. I ended up not making much progress with the scene above.

Today, I hope to put in more direct effort and be a lot more centered with what I am set out to achieve.

PLAN AHEA, in other words.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I am so happy to be here.

1 Like

Was able to make a bit more progress with the scene, with the happiest part of the process being this:

I figured out how to bend objects in two clicks! I am so excited to be making these baby steps towards more complex shapes.

I look forward to learning more grease pencil, as once I’m done 3D shaping the room, I want to layer it with 2D scenes as much as possible. The goal is to be able to have minimal camera movement that will create a sense of volume and depth that is otherwise unachievable within 2D-animated scenes.

Another hope for this approach is that I will be able to reuse the same scene easily for different shots, making the technically-complex aspects of 2D Environments quite simple.

2 Likes

Wanted to have some fun, and made this little animation yesterday. I’ve got to re-learn a lot of older tricks quickly (particle systems, I love you so dearly), and explored aesthetics quite a bit.
I’m realizing that it is not the “VHS” aesthetic, but the overall granular, ruinated quality of the image that attracts me. In my photography, I follow the same principle: I prefer using high-quality, but imperfect lens that give images with a lot of character.

Today, I hope to move onto grease pencil- the 3D Mock-up is mostly finished, now I need to fill it with detail.

1 Like

Finally settled with a structure for these diaries: a reflection followed by a plan for today, which I will carry out in the evening.

I’ve further reflected on what is possible for me in the current situation, and am getting more and more excited as I am becoming more goal-focused, and less lost in the process. Yesterday I’ve arrived at a more stark definition of what I’d like my “style” to be for the time being:

Today, my goals are:

1. Practice drawing
  2. Learn 3D spacing
  3. Develop further stylization methods

I will achieve these by re-making this sketch into a more complex, more thorough work (20 mins for initial sketch, 10 minutes for revision, 20 minutes for 3D space, and 10 minutes for stylization).

I wish you good luck and resilient spirit, future me!

2 Likes

Today has been an insane day at work, so I was unable to get beyond what was charted yesterday.

:pencil2: I did practice drawing- and realized that I suck at digital, but have very strong physical skills:

I am not sure if you can, at all, tell what this is supposed to resemble… And, I’m very happy to have figured out “blur” effect! Will be overusing it in the near future 100%

A small sample of shots I want to employ for an upcoming project. The technique difference is strikingly encouraging?

:10cubes: 3D spacing has been a big itch- after attempting to sculpt a scene from image by “tracing”…

Doesn’t look that bad, right? Let’s check render view…

Damn, the scale, the positioning, it’s all so off!! GRRRR

:pen: I am thinking deeply about stylization, but at this point it all collides with simplicity- I want to create pretty definitive work without being a technical expert. Something akin to komugiko2000 or worthitkids. My next step in stylization is to create shading- something that I enjoy about my paper sketches a lot.

Love this one so much. Forever a special place in the calmer places of my mind :heart:

Goals for tomorrow:

• develop a more substantial 3D landscaping technique
  • attempt further “cinematic” experimentation with blur and exposure
  • experiment with fill tool and/or shaders

I wish you plenty of rest and a productive mind, future me!

6 Likes

:loud_sound: Today’s mindspace

Today has been a relaxed day. I certainly could have put more effort into productive learning, but at this point, I want to emphasize joy and a sense of belonging in the process. The results will come only if I am able to create a sustainable practice.

Unfortunately, duh, that requires that this hobby of mine is at least enjoyable. Even better if I will love it at some point…

:loud_sound: Today’s practice

So, today I took ~1hr to have my intuition guide the process of grease pencil-based 3D sculpting. It got me pretty far, at least to a point of comfort with the workflow, and a deeper understanding of what my mistakes are and how to move forward in a more result-giving way:

I love anatomy! Something I try to stay away from in practice, because it is one area where I excel effortlessly, while others suffer from procrastination Next, I want to try a face!

For tomorrow, let’s attune my goals to my first project!

:loud_sound: Project chartings
This is, like most of my early works in any medium, a homage to my biggest inspirations: a mix of Nausicaa from the Valley of the Wind manga with some of my darker, more disturbing dreams. The final “tape” should be no more than a couple minutes in length, with only 5-6 shots in total. But, I should go over the technical troubles details:

• Para-3D environments (multiple semi-flat layers) for all scenes
  • Hand-drawn backgrounds for all scenes
  • Lots of ambient animation elements in each scene
  • Some character animation to most scenes
  • Full soundtrack/SFX accompaniment

One of the biggest frogs for this project has already been eaten, luckily… the story!.. I tend to struggle tremendously with writing, but this time it was the first thing I tackled, before coming up with any concrete concepts, and it seems to be near-complete.

most importantly, though, KEEP IT SIMPLE

excited to see how the tomorrow me will break down this project further, and in the meantime, here’s a a character sketch:

2 Likes

Today felt like a big step back in terms of courage. Instead of working towards the project, I spent an hour following an impulsive experiment. 40 minutes into it, I started to notice the thought that “I’m distracting myself from something bigger”. Yet, for another 20 I simply kept at it, and finally pausing now, I feel quite disappointed and frustrated at the lack of self-listening.

However, for what it is, I am happy with the modeling. I’ve learned some tricks and shortcuts, so time is all but wasted. Yet, it’s all about the result, right- so what will come of this, if anything? I don’t really want to immerse myself into completing this. If it’s meant to be “practice”, then I took the endeavor for a bit too long. If it’s meant to be a “performance”, then I didn’t take it far enough (and won’t- this just doesn’t feel worthwhile to me, in terms of both the idea and the steps it will take to realize it).

Being kind to myself is important, though. Ultimately, it’s okay for me to feel scared. I have not taken a “big bite” for some time now. Unlike my previous grandeur projects, I have no mentors guiding me here; no one believes (yet) into my vision but myself.

That’s okay- I need to learn to be my own mentor.

6 Likes

Doing other things while still maintaining the “big picture/goal” in one’s head is no step back. On the other hand, it’s often times necessary to practice the particular skills by their own, all for the bigger goal, e.g. a film.

What I wanted to say is, don’t feel discouraged. Your goal is a huge one, and as long as every practice ‘serves’ the big goal (which in 3d could be nearly everything), then your final product will be much better because of it. And ‘practice’ doesn’t need to be short, on the other hand, often times beneficial practice in the beginning leads to hours. Speed is something that comes along automatically.

Excited to see your next steps! You’re not alone in wanting to do a short (or even something longer), and just like in real production, there is a very long pre-production phase (in which you may feel like you don’t work on the actual thing itself). Keep going :dizzy:

5 Likes

There is an often overlooked third option: “entertainment”. And while many people will scoff at it, I think it’s an important part of making art. Live for yourself as you are now a little. Results that we can show to other people and knowledge that can help us in the future are all good things. But being in the moment, going through whatever is on your mind right now, without the need to reach any kind of finished state, without the fear of failure… it’s living in the present.
The point of learning things is that you get to play with them from time to time, right? =)

5 Likes

Such a good point, thank you for your words although I’m not the one being spoken to directly :slight_smile: It can be very freeing to also just create art that one likes, not because of some higher meaning but just because… one likes it. Def a topic for me at the moment.

3 Likes

No practice today, but I did commit to updating regardless…

First of all, thank you @good_omen and @stray for your kind words. You both are helping me reframe outlooks on my own work and learning, and I feel more empowered and forgiving already.

A long road lies ahead, but I am, once again, so glad to have so many wonderful, supportive people be alongside on my journey.

From now onwards, I want to dedicate about 10mins/1hr for “entertainment”. 20-30 for skills/technique, and another 20-30 to larger project works. Ultimately, though, I do want to begin orienting myself towards the :sparkles: beyond sketchbook lands :sparkles:

Tomorrow, I hope to take time to receive feedback on my work so far from various mentors, and work on 3D grease pencil techniques (re-try the Bonsai Tree tutorial).

To end with a visual, here’s another photo of mine that I hope to make a study on:

4 Likes

Oh, new Sketchbook! How did I not see this? I’m really not on the ball these days; I’ve even seen you commenting on other Sketchbooks.

Anyway, welcome to this lovely and supportive corner of the site! :confetti_ball:

That’s some plan! I wish you all the best, and second/third @good_omen and @stray’s advice. Keep it fun, take some time out for other things, so you don’t burn yourself out.

4 Likes

@piranha4D Thank you so much for your kind words! I look forward to listing through your sketchbook as well :sparkles:

Focusing on practice, I re-did a part of the “Bonsai Tree” tutorial. I find it difficult to keep focus, so at the moment it’s more about putting in the time. Focus will come as I become more passionate and eager to problem-solve.
Screenshot 2023-08-30 082134

Today, my goal is to get feedback, and work on recreating the scene from the photo above in a quick sketch. I want to try merging 2D and 3D more.

:heart:

2 Likes

Another missed day yesterday, though I was able to put in good 10 minutes of practice. Here’s what it amounted to:

The goal is to create a full photo study, and this time I want to take my time with technicality, as, given my skill level, proper technique is more than necessary for achieving the desired result.

I’ve had similar experiences with music: I’d only be able to “bypass” my skill level when it came to technique by practicing in ways that were far more focused and intentional than expected. Otherwise, I’d plummet down to where I actually “should be” given how much I practiced.

Time ~ Skill, but Skill < Efficient Mindset

I hope to carry this throughout the day.

Good luck, future me- I look forward to witnessing the fruits of your passion!

1 Like

Time to re-evaluate my goals!

How does my current stance align with these aims?
Immediate (habits): commited to 30-60min per day :green_circle:

10 Weeks (20% done): No animated shorts yet, but something I am developing more comfort with :yellow_circle: Next week, I will create my 1st ambient short, and will proceed to complete 1-2 weekly. Not started on sound design yet; I will need to make sure to allocate time to that :yellow_circle:

**15 weeks (13% done)*: Camera motion is already in practice; I will begin studying character animation next week. :green_circle:

30 weeks (6% done): A plan for website is laid out. There are many components that I need to dedicate more time to in the coming weeks: writing, photography, and preparing my past projects for visibility. However, this will only kick in after New Year. Right now, just make things :green_circle:

50 weeks (4% done): Too far out to plan, but this is my :sparkles: dream :sparkles: at the moment. I want to be able to quit my 9-5 within a year from today.

Review

This week’s big project: 1st environmental animation

• Mo: create a full vision, scope out all the necessary steps for completion, achieve process clarity
  • Tu: complete sketch of the idea in Blender - check ambition - revise process - find shortest path to desired result
  • We: 2/3 done through the plan
  • Th: revision day
  • Fr: render - post-FX - music 1/3
  • Sat: SFX - music 2/3
  • Sun: final render

This week’s smaller practice:

• Daily: 15 minute “fun” render based on one of my story visions || 10 min technical learning (queer a tutorial for my own means)
  • Wed onwards: traditional 2D animation basics (ball bounce, bag, walk cycle) || find shortcuts, do not master skill

That's all for the vision. Let's touch base on yesterday

First, there was this animation (the “entertainment” of practice (but it took far too long :frowning_face: ))

Before that, I put in more practice into Grease Pencil rendering. Some annoying mistakes, as expected, so didn’t get all too far.

And before that, I’ve made some technical adjustments to my brief table environment. Not yet complete, but I’m learning lots and quickly with this scene.

3 Likes

Wanted to do a reflection in the evening instead of morning. Morning will be for planning from now on!

Funzies:

I wanted to do something purely aesthetic. No meaning, no particular thought attached. Just pleasing to the eye.

It felt great to experiment with more Compositor effects, as well as shaders.

“Focused Work”:

I will definitely need more time for “serious” projects than just one hour :crying_cat_face: Not nearly enough- I wanted this to be a full animation w/ a sliding background, lights, good sculpting, etc. . This will likely take 5+ hours, and I should leave it at that! I have to be careful with my technique, patient with the process, and trust myself to do my best.

Not feeling too good about today; I can already see that loss of patience with the process immediately leads to a reduction in originality of the work. If I want to make it stick, I have to give it time. Perhaps I should do a bit more photography, heh. Its immediacy always brings me peace.

Perhaps that’s why, too, I’m so interested in documentary-type stuff. Where process is the result, in a lot of ways. But I know I can do it this way too, it’s just hard.

I remember who I want to become. And I accept that it takes time- likely years. That doesn’t mean that what I’m doing isn’t meaningful. But the sense of urgency doesn’t leave me; I hope to find a way to make peace with it soon.

Tomorrow is another weekend; I will do my best!

2 Likes