Contain particles within shape?

Hi all, I’m pretty new to Blender and trying to find my feet. I really love the particle system for abstract images and wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of containing particles within an (invisible) sphere. Not been able to find a tutorial specific for this at the moment.

In a similar fashion to this http://rock-bomber.tumblr.com/post/133827697395/aerenders-51115-null-balance

Thanks

G

There’s a few ways but at least two workflows you should be familiar with.

1. Collision
    Particle system can consist of multiple objects. You should have at least one of them that emits particles. You can add another (a sphere say) add a solidify modifier and apply that, and then surround your particle system with it, and in the Physics tab s set it to ‘Collision’ particles (when baked) will now bounce off it, or in this case, be contained by it.

2. Hair
    Hair is not just for head hair or fur. hair can also be used to emit objects. YOu could add a sphere, perhpas sculpt or boolean to cut out regions, and then use the remaining surface to emit hair, by adding a particle system and changing it to hair, and then setting a dupli object, a second object that will be spread all over the surface (or the volume) or the verts.

Thanks Photox tried the collision method and that worked a treat and contained the particles to the inside of a sphere.