Containment

Just finished my entry for the emissive light challenge (from Curtis Holt’s discord).
I’m calling this one Containment.

The idea was a glass containment chamber for a giant alien bug lit from below, I thought of it as a kaiju larva. I kept the light sources limited to only what was in the environment and used emission shaders to light the scene. Wasn’t hugely limiting, but definitely made me think differently about scene construction. The bug creature was sculpted in ZBrush and textured in substance. I used box cutter and fluent for the environment modeling, with some sub-d mixed in here and there. The environment texturing is mostly procedural with some roughness maps.

Because the bug was getting distorted(intentionally) by the liquid in the glass sphere I pulled a few cycles renders of the asset because I was happy with the design.

I like projects like these because I get to work on many different things I’m interested in.
Here’s a rendered turntable with some editing in resolve (the video was too large to post here):

All in the project around 5 days to complete.

Thanks for taking a look!

74 Likes

This is super cool! It makes me think of the parasite queen from the Metroid games, obviously yours looks way better but I immediately heard the music in my head when I saw this :sweat_smile: incredible job, you should be super proud of the work you’ve done here

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words - appreciate it! It’s been a while since I played Metroid but those games were pretty influential when I was younger.

1 Like

Awesome… now after watching this for a while … when i think about it …the guardrail is for humans i assume… so this is a BIG one. … I hope no one opens the roof because then it plays with the sun and the containment as lense…

ohhh wait – i just have to bend myself a bit you little critter and then you are right in the focus of… ahh got ya…

1 Like

Thanks! Haha it would get cooked.

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Whoa! What an amazing work. You tackled this one really good, chosing the best options for each segment. Just wow :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Really great work. I think what makes it so good is exactly what you said, you got to work on a lot of things you are interested in, so everything in the scene holds its own. Though the bug is obviously center stage, every single element of the environment is done to the same level of detail.

1 Like

Amazing! The alien design is so awesome, and the environment is nothing less!

1 Like

Really nice, amazing details!

1 Like

Applauds Bravo…

1 Like

Great, mean gross… but beautiful :upside_down_face:
Nice render, but somehow think that background need more love.

1 Like

Brilliant work!

1 Like

Wow, impressive!

1 Like