Converting old Lightwave 5.6 models to Blender.

Yo.

I’ve got models I need converting. Is that even possible? And can anyone do it for me? I’ve already imported some models, but that’s as far as I can go.

You know that there’s a .lwo conversion script in File >> Import?

%<

Yes, but that doesn’t keep the textures and settings on the model.

Yup, the surfaces are all gone. Nothing but a grey model…

You’ll have to retexture them yourself and re-create the materials to put on. its a real downer isn’t it?

Sometimes I lay in bed and wish there was one format That every 3d program exports to with materials, and every program imports it with materials. Then we wouldn’t have to worry about exporting to lightwave, wings, ect. Wouldn’t that be just perfect?

Too bad we don’t live in a perfect world yet…(but that world is coming, oh ya! :smiley: )

The LWO importer is being updated, search the forums - not sure if materials import is planned,

LetterRip

The LWO importer is being updated, search the forums - not sure if materials import is planned,

Then what’s the point? I could retexture it, if the surface names and data translated. But since they didn’t, I can’t resurface the model myself. And this is important. I’m working on a new star trek internet show, and we’ve chosen blender as our 3d animation and effects studio. Because, you know, it’s free. But if our models can’t be converted, we’re screwed.

I don’t suppose anyone would want to volunteer to be a model converter for us? :expressionless:

You could ask the lwo dude for materials import as well, or email the bf-python list and request it.

another alternative is to get a dedicated conversion tool that can take your format to one better supported such as obj.

LetterRip

You could ask the lwo dude for materials import as well, or email the bf-python list and request it.

You gotta be more specific. I don’t know doodly squat about the blender community.

another alternative is to get a dedicated conversion tool that can take your format to one better supported such as obj.

I’d rather vote Republican then pay $360 for polytrans.

Have a look in this thread - looks like material importing was added?

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39467&highlight=lwo

the most recent version is on the third page and can be found here

http://uaraus.altervista.org/index.php?filename=it/content/contenuti/Blender/LWO_importer.html

works with 2.40alpha releases.

LetterRip

See, this is why I never get my hopes up.

Doesn’t work. :-?

Doesn’t work how? Also did you post the problem that you had in the thread?

LetterRip

Since I don’t have 2.40, I tryed v1.16 which is what they said to use on 2.37. It does nothing. Model is still grey and unsurfaced.

I have a pounding headache… :expressionless:

Well download 2.40rc1 from the website, then download the latest version of the script.

Then see if it does what you want. If you read this thread only the most recent versions .2 has the materials importing stuff and it uses 2.40 (which will be out in a week or so, but is already fully useable).

LetterRip

Would anyone be offended if I said this is all totally confusing? :-?

No :slight_smile:

What you want is not currently available in 2.37a the most recent release. I thought that it would be available in a future version 2.40 which is sort of available now (as a release candidate) unfortunately the LWO version you have is not fully supported in the upcomming blender version either, instead it was for LWO 6.0 which is not fully backwards compatible with 5.6

LetterRip

Did you try exporting the files in Lightwave as .obj files
and import them into Blender?

Or did you try importing the
lightwave files into Wings3d and export them as .obj files
and then importing them into Blender?

Maybe one of those option will work out?

Did you try exporting the files in Lightwave as .obj files
and import them into Blender?

Or did you try importing the
lightwave files into Wings3d and export them as .obj files
and then importing them into Blender?

Maybe one of those option will work out?

Lightwave 5.6 doesn’t export.

What you want is not currently available in 2.37a the most recent release. I thought that it would be available in a future version 2.40 which is sort of available now (as a release candidate) unfortunately the LWO version you have is not fully supported in the upcomming blender version either, instead it was for LWO 6.0 which is not fully backwards compatible with 5.6

That headache is back :smiley:

Pointless bump cause this is still important to me. :expressionless:

Anim8or imports Lightwave models.

Import your lightwave model in Anim8or, then export that model to obj.

(object , import. Lightwave should be visible under 3ds in the ‘Files of Type’ selection)

THEN, import that obj in Blender.

Does not work the other way around though- Anim8or does not export lightwave models, only imports them. You can get it here ( http://anim8or.com )