Coordinate System Limits ?

Hi,

Now I’m working on Anim about a real terrain with a real coordinate system
made with topography, so I’m using UTM coordinates that frequently go around
1.000.000, 1.000.000, 500.

so i have 1BU=1 meter, have sucessfully made a huge mesh with the terrain, UV mapped
and the mesh of the to be constructed high way, everything was fine (since i almost finished)

my problems arises when try to place small objects, less tan 1m some times the X,Y axis can’t get more than 10.000 units so the objects ‘disapears’ when try to move just a bit.
that small problem is annoy me , also the small movemets of these objects seems ‘bumpy’ i can’t get a shooth mevent to get a good placement.
so any one knows how to make the cordinate system more ‘bigger’ ?

one thing that i can’t do is transtalte it to 0,0,0 just because i loss interop with designer’s CAD files.

sorry for the long, post.

the internal limits are from 0.001 to 9999 BU
of so if you ca have 8999.001
but nothing under 0.001 unles you scale up

mind you if you works with script you could get more than taht but still you cannot render it
so that ;s twhat he limits are with blender
SAluations

mmm there is something that i can’t understand, because i have more than it and actually renders ok, quite slows but it works.
look to my screen …

thanks…

Attachments

are you using an SVN version of blender?

i tried it again and i cannot place in N-transform a value grater than 10000?

don’t know how you got that high value for location ?

unless it’s been changed in blender the limits i gave you are the maximum values you can play with ?
can explain how you did that - i mean to set these values so high ?

another thing is that look in veiw properties your clip end is at 10000
so anything outside won’t be shown ?

Saluations

since i work for an engineering company
I always use blender for bridges, roads, tunnels viz …

my blender version now is 2.45 … latest version from Ubuntu repos … so definitively
is not SVN.

yes if i reduce the clip end parts of the model will not show.

my only clue about this is the spacing on the view properties generally is 1 but i have 100 … mm is there any one that could explain it more ??

thanks !

what od you mean to explain more on what ?

and as i said i was not ble to enter in N-transform panel any numbers higher than 10,000
so how did you enter theses numbers ?

by the way the latest 2.48 in available you can download it at
http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-248/
Salutations

Ricky, bring up ‘View Properties’ and increase ‘Grid Spacing’ to 100

(View => View Properties)

unless there has been a change that i did not see
tjemlimits are still the same up to 10,000 and a minimum resolition of 0.001
unless it’s bennchange?

even if you change the grid this doesn not change the limitations on max and min value
it’s only the grid show in the render window that changes

unless i missing something here but what ?

Saluitations

I don’t want to hijack Willington’s thread, but it works for me here, both SVN and the official release.

It might be best to start another thread if you want to investigate further.

to cut time
can you upload on FTP site a little file showing theses results

i never seen taht before

and i don’t remember any change to the limits of blender

so what’s going on here ?

Thanks

Sure.

untitled.blend (88.4 KB)

It’s the view distance…

this goes well above the max blender values?

so how is it this possible ?
i’ll play with this on this weekend
and come ack

thanks

hi, i guess I should chime in. Organic is correct. You have, in Blender, 7 significant figures for the location of something. (this may change with 2.5, but is current for 2.47). For mathematical reference look up the terms accuracy versus precision or wiki reference page

To use a simpler example, suppose we had 3 significant figures. We could then express a number range of:
1.000 to -1.000
10.00 to -10.00
100.0 to 100.0
1000. to 1000.

The precision (number of digits to the right of the decimal point) varies based on the grid spacing in our case, but we still only have so many “places” to put numbers in. In the example above, we would use a grid spacing of 1, 10, 100, and 1000. Put another way, Blender can store the location of a point to within 1/1000th of a Grid Spacing. You can even go higher, but you lose digits and blender will start to round to the nearest 10, the nearest 100, etc as you increase.

OP initally wanted 9 “sig-figs” as my son likes to say, which we currently dont have.

blender has 7 digits number for let say location or other variable

but i you look to the panel in there is a number like 1 milliions and then after the dot 0.000 this is 10 digits numbers
i just open an existing file with 2.48
i tried to change the division to 100 and then go to n Panel and try to enter 1 000 000
and it comes back to 10,000

so how was thie 1 millions number tnered there in this field ?

is still cannot do it ?

is there any modification in sight ot increase the preicsion of blender
like you said Papismurf to go to 9 significant digits it would a lot easier for lot’s of people mostrly involved with modelling mechanical architectural things

another thing Papismurf when you work with script i waht is the max digits precision inside script s ?
i think this is a lot more precise then inside blender per say?

Salutations

as he shows above in the View Properties panel, by changing Spacing to 100, he is able to enter 894,031.8 as a location for the X coordinate fo the 3D cursor. Sadly, spacing only goes up to 100, so the limit is a million.

Python does automatic type assignment based on what you set a number to and following the rules of division. See Python.org for discussion on the number types supported and their accuracy.

Ton is aware of this limitation and has said it is on the slate to be changed.

i tried th file with the big number that i downloaded and it show digits that are not precise
in the sense that you can put more digits than thre real precision of blender
so i think the format is not working propely

there is another thing here that is confusing how do you relate the scale of the drawing and the grid spacing?
if you take 1 BU = 1 Meter you have to leave the grid at div = 1 to get the limits 10,000 down to 0.001
but if you change the grid it will change the precision at which you wokr
so you got be bery carefull here to remember that?

but i guess the enxt version will correct this hopefully
any idea whene we should have more digit which version 2.5 ?

Salutations

Coordinate limits are definitely an annoying limitation to Blender, but there are some work-arounds I’ve been able to use.

First, I’ve done some Python scripting that will transform a project from its design system (in your case UTM) to coordinates closer to the Blender origin.

For example, I’m writing a script that imports animated traffic simulation data from Vissim into Blender, showing automobiles, turn signals, brakes, and traffic signals. The coordinate system we use for the design and the simulation is generally either arbitrary or state plane, neither of which are friendly to Blender. So my script evaluates the ‘bounding box’ of the simulation/project data and centers it at 0,0,0 in Blender and, if necessary, scales the data down. It then stores these translation/scale factors in an exterior project file so it can be used for placement of other objects.

I’m also writing a library of civil engineering scripts for Blender that will allow proposed pavement via LandXML alignments and profiles, use of station and offset coordinates, and other things. Email/PM me if you’d like me to let you know when these projects are available.

i think is a limitation on the panels only, now i’ve loaded over 1.000.000 and works
but i can’t do any transform.

i didn’t check the source code to see what kind of data type handle the coords …

my last words is ‘Ton please extend the coords !!! please !!!’

yap at least have up to 9 significatives digits
that’s would give a lot more freedom for the mecahnical architectural - civil design

Hope it becomes a reality soon

Salutations