Copy Right Issues with Textures in an Animation

Hi,

I have a question about copyright issues with animation. I’m trying to enter a contest, but in order to do that, I must own every aspect of the film. I’m assuming that means textures and everything too. Right now, I’m just using a texture I got off of stock.xchng, but I don’t think that will work because I don’t own the photo. Is there some way to get an image that I didn’t take and own the rights to it?

Here is the spot in the rules I’m looking at, so I can see what you guys think.

“I warrant and represent that the video submission is wholly original and created entirely by me and does not incorporate or include anything that is owned by any third party or entity or would require the consent of any third party or entity and that my video submission does not violate any law or the copyright, trademark, publicity right, privacy right or any other right of any third party arising in any jurisdiction.”

So, I’m not sure entirely what to do. I’m not sure if I can find the texture I need to take a picture of, and if there isn’t a way to own a photo otherwise, I’ll have to come up with something different.

Thanks.

That’s a pretty tough rule. You’re probably looking at the contest organizer’s lawyer doing a CYA for any possible violation of copyright. StockXchng photos are royalty free and they licence you to use them in videos without getting the consent of the photo’s copyright owner, but the rule states

does not incorporate or include anything that is owned by any third party or entity

StockXchang specifically does not transfer ownership of the photo to you. You can get ownership rights by buying them from the owner, copyright is a transferable property right. You could contact the photographer, explain your situation, and ask to buy that one photo for some nominal amount.