Corn Cobs

This was just for fun. Got challenged on FB if I could do some corn using only procedural material. Couldn’t resist…so here is the result of four hours work. Hope you see that it is corn cobs :D.

18 Likes

…and I know the corns are going in the wrong direction. FB feedback made that very clear ;). Perhaps a change if I get time is in order… or this will be like a future version with changed DNA :D.

Maaaan, how did you put all the seeds there? Did you use hair particles?

For an extra component of the challenge, you could’ve switched to the experimental kernel and created the corn using microdisplacement.

Unless there’s strong overlapping components, creating the details with displaced textures has the advantage of being non-destructive and can be changed or tweaked quickly.

2 Likes

Yes, two particle systems that are using the type “hair”. I let the faces of the cob control the placement of the corns.

I could…but I think I’ll take the easy way out. Micro displacement is a very cool feature, but it takes longer to render and longer to create and I’m mostly interested of the end result. If it serves the purpose, then I gladly use it… but if other easier methods are available, well then I cheat :).

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you very much :).

1 Like