Corsair F4U

Hello,

I made this plane with my (other) nephew Jens, after he turned into bed, I continued a little and made a small animation for him to see…

Corsair F4U “in flight”

Niels

Not bad but I would suggestion motion blur!

Imo it already has motion blur, just not enough.

In the cockpit use some DOF, also some background HDRI would make this great, it would better illustrate the tumbling.

Hmm, kinda repetitive…also i think your camera work needs some work…

@DDD, Yours is at least valid comment, even considering the context of the animation, thank you. I mean suggesting a rendertime multiplier of at least 5 due motionblur with an unfinished plane not even animated flaps, light, etc is ridiculous and to mention the term HDRI in the context as done show ‘talking out of the arse’-principle. The fact that I do this with my nephew doesn’t make me the beginner :wink:

Niels

ps. DDD, the animation is a 360 camera roto around the object as this is common with characters, in this case I animated a second axis and a ‘cloud’-background. Which suits the context, the boy sees it in flight. :slight_smile: Oh, I did rig the flaps etc, but it was too late too care…and I hit render…

As for the motionblur, this ‘vector-blur’ is easily recognized by the hard pixels, ‘vector-blur’ lets you set a ‘blur’ but it is per layer and mixing e.g. 10 pixels in Z still gives hard-pixels, this is why I wish Blender would give me more control over the ‘vector-blur’ namely the Z, now you have to set a high (gaussian-)blur factor which erases the layer… The 2.5 motionblur is improved which I am very happy with. (but why there is a 1 sample option is unclear to me… :slight_smile: )

@DDD, Yours is at least valid comment, even considering the context of the animation, thank you. I mean suggesting a rendertime multiplier of at least 5 due motionblur with an unfinished plane not even animated flaps, light, etc is ridiculous and to mention the term HDRI in the context as done show ‘talking out of the arse’-principle. The fact that I do this with my nephew doesn’t make me the beginner

Ooooookay?
Remind me to never comment on your stuff again.

backs away slowly from the easily irritable person

@AdamTM: +1

@AdamTM: You could have chosen for the more dilligent way: “Oh, Niels, I know what you mean, the greater than visual colors(24-bit) is of no issue ahere as for the edit-possibilities that comes with it. I mistakenly called a good quality background still HDRI, but meant an easy way to add realism.”

Niels

WTF???
I hate threads that start turning into word fights. If you dont like the suggestion leave it, no need to “b-word” about it, politely say that that doesnt fit your project, and thank them for taking their time to suggest it. So please dont fight, just focus on the project…
A-a-a-nyways…

About your plane… Did I understand you correctly? All you are doing is a 360 camera rotation? If yes then i suggest looking at some airplane flight videos, and try to recreate the maneuvers of the plane and the camera angles and movement of the camera. A good reference always helps.
Gd Luck.

Why yes my friend :slight_smile: , in fact i meant an angular HDRI light probe, which is commonly known (we can call it slang :wink: ) on the forums as “some HDRI background” :smiley: and everyone knows wtf im talking about. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you one of those people that will complain about my usage of 275 degree Kelvin instead of 275 Kelvin? :ba:

I mentioned this because right now your “clouds” look like a gradient and you can hardly tell which way is up or down. In fact, thats why it looks like the plane is tumbling. :eek:
If its supposed to be just a rotation around the plane, then i suggest to loose the second axis of rotation because it gives the impression like the plane is out of control and doing barrel-rolls with a straight down pitch. :wink:

Giving the eye some visible horizon would eliminate this problem, as we would see that its the camera that is moving and not the plane. :cool:

And i still say a quick DOF wouldnt hurt inside the cabin, if you are looking into the distance, you dont focus on the instruments. :no:

ProTip: To add quick motion blur use After Effects’s Frame Blending, it saves you rendering-time twice over (im pretty sure free video editing software has this function too in case you dont have AE) :yes:

I just showed it to my nephews, they loved it, with tumblin in all. And spoke how to continue finish the plane.

Niels

@AdamTM, I notice you see things that aren’t there.(No instruments)

@AdamTM, a “HDRI background” search on this forum turns in 62, hardly a number to backup your slang excuse, I read a couple of them, which were from people needing help, Blender related, a funny imply was “need hdri images for hdri reflections”

Niels

ps.
The fake motionblur I’ve tested gave more ghosting than motionblur, but true that was a long time ago.

@AdamTM, if you were clear the first time I would have thanked you for the notification this is (now) supported in Blender, without the sky-tex-feature the hdr is still unused.

@AdamTM, please answer the question below first…

As a kid you just couldn’t get enough of the Corsair, and luckily forme Ihas a weekly dose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=GQCYG0C89

Have a look at this video as well:

She is a great bird… I have MANY pics of these from the EAA warbirds display area in Oshkosh… One of my personal favorites :slight_smile:

Cujo

@AdamTM, could you explain how exactly it uses HDR? I mean if I don’t render to e.g. exr it isn’t used at all and if I do it only passes the hdr… I mean for angular light mapping HDR is unnecessary. Do you owe me an apology?

@Cujo31, if you have F4U or something similar interior-shots I can use, please tell :slight_smile: My nephew has a small toy Corsair, together we went to the Dutch Army Airplane Museum(Soesterberg), took photos but no Corsair there.

NielsNobody, AdamTM owes you nothing. He took his time to critique your work. If you feel that time was wasted, just leave it, but in any case you should be grateful, not hostile. I am glad you nephews liked the result.