Cotton Batting Material

I’m trying to make a cotten batting material like the picture but don’t know where to start. I feel like it would have to be a volumetric material like a cloud but when I do that it doesn’t look right. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thank you

Have you tried applying dense hair particles for object? Short, thin hair with some randomness could make the job done.

Search for a procedural felt material and swap the colors…

Hi there!

When creating fabric like that, you can decide, how much you want it to look like woven, or universal. For the actual woven / knit look, the magic texture can really do magic, but I mixed it with some fuzzy voronoi to make it more uneven, still you can see the waves. I also added some noise to imitate those fluffy “peaks”.
Please note, choosing an insane scale of textures will break the material, hence the 3 noise mix.
I am sure, there are many other ways to do this, or keep tweaking the settings, I just came up with this quickly. Hope it helps :slight_smile:

i tried nodes set up but not really working as image shown !
can you upload sample file test it

thanks
happy bl

Hi, here is the .blend file compressed
wool.7z (747.3 KB)

I added a second material where I tried to make something curly, but eventually failed. It can look like fabric, but solving the issue with bump only is a hard nut to crack :smiley:

i reduce sample to 35
and render time is extremely slow

is there something special apart of the nodes set up ?

thanks
happy bl

Hi there!
AFAIK, it is only the material that is a bit tricky, you may check the render settings indeed, but nothing special in the .blend file. I am not sure what do you consider slow. I have an older rig, so for me, everything is relatively slow :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

very slow
i’v rarely seen a render so slow !
apart of using big particles system

got sample down to 35
after like 2 minutes there was only a very small portion done on render

will test again

thanks
happy bl

Set the noise generators to 3D, and reduce the detail level. Detail level is insane for that use, especially with that roughness.

got it working
not certain what happen yesterday
PC must have been on strike LOL

still looking for a new one hope to find a good deal soon

thanks
happy bl

Yeah, the detail can crank up the render time a lot.
Sometimes detaik is crucial, sometimes it is not. In 2.9 the official max was 16, now it is 15. If the texture is not hurt by that, you cam decrease indeed :blush:

Also, the curly one is not sooo good. The first one is nice for a flatter, caroet-like look, the second needs more work, I just had a lot to do nowadays, so I stopped at there. I’m sure there are other ways, I will try to explore them :blush:

i got some old file for felt

felt1

let me know if you need the file

happy bl

Yes, please share, I am intrigued :blush:

Pasteall.org

about 16 MB
with particles system

have fun

happy cl

1 Like

VMATS’s next version will has realistic Cotton Batting material. Coming very soon.