Courtney Gears

Finally I finished this character. I know, it absolutely doesn’t look like it, but especially rigging was way harder than it seems. And well, it took me a lot of time, but at this point I’m not even surprised anymore :V It would be so great to have enough time to work on personal projects full-time. Maybe one day, heh. Sometimes I wonder why I’m making fully functional rigs for my characters, when other people upload painted sculpts from Zbrush and that’s the end of the project. But I don’t know, for me it just doesn’t feel like finished thing if it’s not fully functional character.

Now when i look at this model when it’s finished i feel a bit unsatisfied. There is much, much more details here than meets the eye. Some of them are visible in close-ups but not in main renders. Some of them are not visible anywhere at all. The problem is, that I’m not very good at lighting. I’m always jealous of other people’s super-detailed models I see e.g. on ArtStation. And the worst thing is that every time I finish working on a character, I find some new references, some new ideas and see how obviously some things could have been designed so much better. But instead of fixing my model endlessly, I think it’s better to just move on to another project and do a little bit better next time.

Well, character is finished, but I still have some more plans for this model. For those who do not recognize the her - it’s Courtney Gears from Ratchet & Clank series. In original version, she appears in a really catchy music video. I’m considering re-creating this video. But I’m not sure yet. We’ll see. As for now, I’m just enjoying this part of the work, when I can just sit and upload finished renders to the internet. Hope you like it. Cheers.

W.I.P. thread: Courtney Gears
DeviantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/mortusk/art/Courtney-Gears-955113659
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qee58L
Behance: https://www.behance.net/gallery/167064983/Courtney-Gears

58 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Love it!! :fire::fire::fire::fire: texture work is great. Done in Substance??

1 Like

Thank you, glad you like it :wink:
Yes, base textures were made in Substance Painter. On top of that, I added some more details in Blender. Some of them procedurally (like dirt in the crevices, small scratches, etc.), and some of them by hand (these patterns all over her body, some color variations).

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

I recognize this from blenderownia haha. I visited that place 2 times in the past 10 years, but this was the one work that caught my attention

1 Like

@bartv Thank you once again!

@Double_G Wow, I didn’t expect anyone here from that site. Apparently the internet is a small place, haha. High five :raised_hand: I feel honored that my work has caught your attention, thank you.

2 Likes

Very nice work! I really like and honor the fact that you go for the hole character cration process with rig and facials! :star_struck: awesome

1 Like

Thank you! Good to know someone appreciates it. As I sad, for me it only feels like a finished project, when I have a fully functional rig. Glad you like it :wink: