CPU Cooler

(davidkollmar) #1

I am looking into buying a new CPU cooler for my FX-9590 (and yes, it runs hot). I have done some research and am trying to decide between the Corsair H100i or the Noctua NH-D14 although I am open to other options. If it makes any difference I may consider overclocking in the future. Thanks!

(NID Graphics) #2

I personally use the Corsair H100i for my i7-6900k and it keeps it really cool, would definitely recommend. I have it OC from 3.2 base 3.7 boost to ~4.2Ghz and it runs low 30s at idle, around 60 at load with two large NVIDIA Pascal GPUs. Usually 55-65 depending on a few factors like room temp and what other components are running at.

(davidkollmar) #3

Thanks for the input!

(Daedalus_MDW) #4

i have heard good things about noctua. cooler master makes some popular models too.

just make sure what ever you get fits in the case.

(guramarx) #5

I’ve never invested on a liquid cooler before so it’s personal opinion that I feel a heat pipe has less room to go wrong, if there’s enough room in your rig

(davidkollmar) #6

My case is the corsair 400r which appears (according to my research) to be able to take an 185mm tall radiator and the NH-D14 is only 160mm, so it should fit. Thanks for the input!

(Thies Schulz-Holland) #7

I use the Noctua on my overclocked FX-8350 and am quite happy with the cooling performance. I changed the provided 3-pin fans for 4-pin-PWM ones, though, for better temperature control.

One thing to consider - beside the Noctua’s size - is its massive weight (1240 g) and the fact that there is little room below its heat sink: If your RAM modules have their own tall cooling elements on them, they might not fit underneath the Noctua…

(davidkollmar) #8

My RAM is listed on the compatibility list for the Noctua so I hope it fits. I have an ASUS sabertooth r3.0 so I think the Noctua’s weight will be OK. Thanks for the input! Out of curiosity, what do you have your FX-8350 overclocked to?

(Thies Schulz-Holland) #9

Nothing fancy, just a basic 4.0 GHz to 4.6 GHz overclock…