Christina's Sketchbook

More kit.

1 Like

Love the moody atmosphere in this one, and also in the recent foggy one. Eerie!

I’ve got this in another post but will add it here just to keep everything in one place.

4 Likes

Testing out some approaches to lighting. Looks a pretty basic scene but it uses almost no bounce lighting and is a lot more noise-free than I’ve been able to get with indirect lighting. I even managed to get a sort of light-linking to work!

1 Like

This is using area lights to emulate bounce lighting. Pretty quick, but I think they need to be a bit warmer.

On reflection, the amount of time it takes to set up all the area lights is much greater than the rendering time I save. It might be worth it for an animation but for a single still image it almost certainly isn’t. So I looked at various ways to expedite rendering, but I think I’ll just stick with plain old GI and cop the longer times. I should just render overnight.

1 Like

Next little project - there will be lots of painting to do in this one

1 Like

Started painting the walls. Just an example, getting the UV maps right. Will paint in Krita.

1 Like

Another tutorial

1 Like

Fooling around with some plants.

3 Likes

Another landscape

3 Likes

Encountering problems with viewport performance with heavy particle systems despite new rig.

1 Like

Another couple of quick sketches, trying out my new stone material.

6 Likes

Alpine Lake

Did a bit more tweaking, plus some post.

The usual suspects - World Machine, HDRIHaven. No Xfrog this time.

3 Likes

I managed to do a ground material in Blender from a Substance Designer tutorial. Result was pretty comparable, but Blender does not produce tilable images but infinite procedural materials, which I’m a lot happier with. I’ve always found using tiled images on large areas a problem, Andrew Price’s tutorial on fixing that problem notwithstanding.

Speaking of AP, here I’ve added his Purple Lovegrass from Grass Essentials to my ground material terrain.

2 Likes

Having another look at the RealSky addon.

1 Like

I posted this in another thread but I’ll add it here just for the record.

3 Likes

More dramatic sky (sortof)

1 Like

Refining my rock making technique.

2 Likes