Create a Tunnel with random pieces/ chunks?

I am trying to model a tunnel with chunks like this:

But I am struggling big time.
First I tried with animation nodes, could only some spiral forms, but can not solve that it get
more narrow in depth:

so I tried it with cutting a sphere in half, adding some displacement and a wireframe modifier:

But I if want a tunnel which I could fly trough with the camera, how would I model this ?
Would there be some kind of generative way or would I have to model every chunk by hand?

Thanks for any inputs on this!

Array modifiers should work. Maybe you could experiment with grease tool.

@BigBlend: tried with an array modifier and an empty to control, but could not achieve the randomness… maybe I need to try again.
Already very close with Animation Nodes, but they are so new to me that I do not really know how solve things…

It depends on the way you need this to be animated, but maybe an Array-Modifier will be just fine if you add a little randomness using an additional Displace-Modifier:

tunneltest.blend (590.1 KB)

@Helge: wow, this is amazing!
Great solution, thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for!!

I just learned a lot from you…

Nice, I’m glad it works! :slight_smile:
Btw.: A few weeks back, there has been a great blender today/everyday episode with Midge “Mantissa” Sinnaeve talking about the creation of seamlessly loopable animations (like endless tunnels). This may also be worth taking a look.

1 Like