Create cube of cubes with random size using geometry nodes

Hi! Is there is a way to recreate something like this? A cube of cubes with random size (volumetric recursive subdivision?). As you can see, cubes sit tight next to each other but without intersections. Tried a Duplicate Elements node and Distribute Points of faces with Poisson disk, but can’t figure out how make them work in 3d and not just on flat surfaces. Thanks!

1 Like

Hmm interesting:

• For pure cubes this would be something like wikipedia: Octree for which you have to choose in a semi-random way from outer to inner what cubes has to be divided… (mostly to not crush the whole thing at once but see this crumbling)

• You also could choose something like dividing a the cube into “layers” which divide not in height… and then maybe not just divide into 2^2=4 but also into 3^3=9 … (if you start with a cube)… But of course you have to match the height of the superior cube…

• And as seen in this image the upper layer not only consists of cubes but also of of rectangular cuboids… and they also to lay/stay across the layer (upright)…

So i bet: go for the first one…

Idea: recursive object substitution… one cube into eight cubes marking the outer faces for further random substitution so that the inner ones doesn’t substitute (crumble) so much…

:wink:

I think this might help you

i think i achieved some result with cloned higgsas’s Divider node group + solidify. It still very far from what i trying to achieve, and i think it’s impossible to do in GN at the moment. Maybe i need to try Sverchok )

4 Likes

Good work!

Agreed. You would need Python or something else that allows some type of recursion (something not available in GN right now without very ugly stacked node-groups)

Still, very impressive how far you’ve managed to get! :+1: