Creating 3d images in blender! [yeah the one u see with 3d glasses]

hey there!
its a short tutorial by me (actually my first tutorial) on creating 3d images in blender.
may prove helpful to you.:smiley:

http://realidktech.blogspot.com/2010/07/create-3d-imgs-in-blender.html

enjoy!:smiley:

in next tutorial ill show u how to apply the same technique to create a 3d movie!:smiley:

thanxx.:slight_smile:

comments please…
its actually my first blender aswell as vid tutorial
sorry ive posted the thread again didnt knew archer has already posted it.
now a better res link is available on the blog

im definitly interested in the idea of making some 3d artwork but i followed the .pdf and i can’t seem to achieve a 3d effect, i tried two different times but i still cannot get it to work. and as a side note what about 3d without changing the colour saturation?

hmm… strange.
i will try to look into your problem.this time ill check out myself instead of giving the pic to anyone else to test but it shud have worked.
try a smaller angle difference between the imgs if you can see to different images or a larger if u see only a single lil blurred image.
depends on scene to scene and specially camera position.(how far camera is)
u may try to have a look at video i just uploaded a better res video on vimeo.

i found out the problem, after 2 hours of trying different tutorials and having none of them work i researched abit into the glasses i was using, the only 3d glasses i have are reald 3d glasses which work on a completely different principal than red and blue glasses. none of the tutorials i looked at had clarified that you needed specifically red and blue or explained the difference between the different types of glasses and why you need red and blue ones. sooo yeah im sure this works but i cant find my red and blue glasses anywhere. =(

oh so finally you figured out the problem nice.
sorry for not specifying that i assumed that people will take 3d glasses as red or blue one only.
thanks for your feed back i will update the pdf (maybe soon).

but if you want to know the theory behind 3d glasses then here:-

3d glasses(yeah im talking of red and blue one only not the ones from nvidia) work basically on the principle of how our brain interprets the images from eyes.

when it recieves the images from both the eyes (which arent really very dissimillar in most cases) it combines them to a single image which gives us the depth effect in objects.

if you close one eye then you can make out the difference between 2 things which are away from each other except for its lightning and the far off thing will look small but at the same place.

similar thing happens with computer. you can only make out if a thing if far off from another only if its
lightning is a bit different from other (yeah everybody know u cant really know position of an object in 3d viewport just from one view.

so the theory behind red and blue glasses actually is that the the eye with red translucent surface sees the red the red image in the combined image while the blue one sees the blue.

so when brain combines the data it gives an illusion of depth.

HOPE THATS ENOUGH !!!
phew i get tired typing. lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Cool. You mentioned that your next tutorial is composing a video with the same technique? I’ll look forward to it. However, I may know how it works. Still, I’m willing to explain you anyways.

Once you constrain the camera to the 3D cursor, make a copy of the camera by pressing “Shift-D” and Right-Click to make to copy stay on first camera’s location. Press R, Z, 10, and Enter to make the copy rotate 10 degrees along the Z axis. Highlight (Right-Click) the first camera, copy like before, and R, Z, -10, and Enter to rotate on the other side. Highlight one of the copied cameras, hold Shift, and highlight the first camera. Press Ctrl+P and select “Object” to make the first camera parent to the copied camera. Do the same thing with the other camera. You can now control the first camera, and the “stereoscopic” cameras will follow. Cool, right?

In making movies with Blender, a camera can be tracked by using an Empty. It’s very simple! First, have a camera, like the first camera. Shift-A and “Empty” to add an Empty. Highlight the first camera, hold Shift, and highlight the Empty. Press Ctrl-T and “Track to Constrain” to make camera always viewing the empty. You can move camera or Empty, and the camera will always look at the Empty.

If you like the idea, you can use it. Of course, you can always post your way to make a stereoscopic movie. I’m just here to help.

Any idea for making a “polarized” 3D image or movie? What you made is like the tradition “Red-Blue” 3D image, which is not bad. However, I prefer to make a polarized version, in which you can see in Digital 3D movies or movies that come with polarized 3D glasses, and yes, you can buy one easily. http://www.the3dmarket.com/Paper/polarized.asp I wonder how it is made. Perhaps it is the change of contrast or something. I am sure someone can find out how it works.

hmm…
interesting thanxx

i found a very good theory about all kinds of 3d vision including polarised one here:-
http://www.jyi.org/features/ft.php?id=987

i too wonder how to get that working…
ok will try to figure that out soon

No problem.

By the way, there is another technique for making anaglyph (Red/Blue 3D) images.

This time, it uses color channels. For my opinion, it looks better than what you demonstrated. I wonder if it can work when making a video in Blender. I believe there may be a node for Color Channels in Node Editor. If not, then I guess we can use your way.

Of course, I still wanted to make a Polarized video. I think you can make it in Adobe After Effects, but I don’t know. I thought it would be easy in Blender with the nodes, but it may not be. I did found out that there’s two different polarized images: linear and circular. You can see an example of how the 3D polarized glasses work in real time.

It looks difficult to duplicate, but I am sure someone can figure it out . . . or maybe someone have.

found http://bensimonds.com/2010/06/21/3d-anaglyph-experimentation/#more-582

but this too is based on red and blue technique but its better cos its whole blender based actually i was going to use the same for 3d movie tut.:stuck_out_tongue:

At least you’re going to make a video of it. Lol

Still looking on polarization. The way it works is similar to the old anaglyph images, only with light waves instead of colors. You will have two images of different angles. One image has to be polarized differently from the other, and it depends on what kind of polarization it is. For linear polarization, one image (I think of the left side) has to be vertically polarized and the other image has to be horizontally polarized. For circular polarization, one has to be polarized clockwise and the other polarized counter-clockwise. I am not sure how to simulate that in Blender, but there should be a way. Maybe if we can find an original image/polarized image, we can find out the difference and see how to imitate it. Just a suggestion.

nice idea.but still unable to figure out how to simulate that in blender.
maybe we can first try a trial of some expensive software that wud let us create this kinda thing and then trying to figure out how that software makes it possible replicate that technique in blender somehow.:evilgrin:

i know it isnt that easy but maybe wud help:D