creating faces

hello all,

in the blender manual it says that you can create a face by selecting 3-4 vertices and pressing F. can you create a face with more than 4 edges?

thanks

No. But you can combine faces into FGons (Fake NGone) which looks and acts as a face with more then 4 vertices:
Make a Circle with 5 vertices
Creat a 3- and 4-sided Face to close it.
Select the 2 faces and press F to make an FGon

thank you for the reply.

so will it just act liek a normal face after that, or are there special commands you can do with fake ngons?

From the 2.35a Release Log:

This new FGon (Fake-Gon, Face-Gon, whatever ) feature can be extended in the future to become more ‘real’ n-gon style polygons, especially when subdivide and cut tools, and subdivision surfaces work with it, though right now its usage is limited to hiding edges for large filled polygons.

thanks again :smiley:

another question.

lets say you combine 3 triangles into a fake-gon of 5 points. triangles make for sloppy subsurfing, so when this face is subsurfed, will it be sloppy also, or act as a 5-point ngon?

thansk again

It will be sloppy.

hmm…thats my problem. lets say I have a 3x3 plane, so theres 9 quads in all. I cut the middle quad in half, and the new points, for some reason, are hooked to the points in the outer squares, creating 3 triangles. I don’t want this to be sloppy, so How do I go about doing that?

If you need pictures, I can supply them