Creating such shaders

Hi Community,
I began with Blender just 3 months ago and I create desktop wallpapers. I saw this one

on the internet and tried to recreate this shader (image was apparently done with C4D). How should I create something like this and how should I setup the scene with Cycles?

Thanks!

Jan T.

Hello !

The shader looks pretty simple to me, it’s a metallic material with very low roughness, and some colors.
What’s make it looks cool is the lighting, looks like there is a broad emitting surface with soft border in front of the object, and probably some other that give the blue rim on the borders.
First try to make a colored metallic/chrome object, then look at these image and try to recreate what is happening in the reflections.

1 Like

The shader looks ok to me, at least it seems a good basis !

At this point it’s quite subjective :smiley:

I think you’ve got cool abstract pattern happening in the center of the image, On the sides it maybe miss other kind of reflections. Maybe try to add an environment texture similar to these :

It will add more detail to the reflections, and fill the black parts. Maybe that’s what’s missing to you to get a more “realistic” result.

But you can also play with some lights, by putting areas lights over the model. Of course, the shape and position of the light will have a great influence on the reflections and the overall result.

In the end, especially on these kind of subjects it all about revealing the shapes with lights and reflections. I think you’re on the right track, but you just need to test different object shapes, different lighting to get to a result that you like.