Creating text with a border/outline?

Is there a way to create text where letters are outlined with a different colour border?

Not sure if it’s obvious what I’m asking, so see attached image.

I’m not looking for bevelled edges, but an outlined one
(although possibly a coloured flat bevel might work?)

Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

There is possibly a more elegant method, but you could try Edge Rendering as a quick fix.

Another option would be to convert the text to Mesh, and assign another material to selected vertices.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Multiple_Materials

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately I want to affect only one object - probably having reflections/etc, which I’m fairly sure Edge Rendering wont do?

You might try duplicating the text and modifying the “Width” parameter in the Edit context.
Here’s the blend.

:wink:

Good life!

Attachments

OutlineText.blend (123 KB)

Thanks, that seems to be close enough for what I want to currently do… although I’ve somehow gone and “lost” my textures on the text objects. :confused:

Hmmm. So I deleted the textures and re-did them, and it seems that unless I have my second text object (the outline, Font.001/Text.001) selected and in Edit Mode, my initial piece of text (the main colour, Font/Text) disappears.

Anyone got any ideas why this is?

I just did this yesterday.

I recieved an illustrator file with strokes around the numbers. So I exported the internal number as a SVG. Then I took the stroke, in illustrator, and expanded it out to become a real path. I exported that as SVG as well. I brought them into Blender and colorized them as needed.

Attachments

That’s a good option. If you like, you can do it in inkscapetoo.