Creating Textures from scratch

Hi guys,

I have UV Maps for a model I created and am ready to create a texture to put on (just a diffuse, I’ll use Crazybump or other software for creating others like a normal, displacementetc)

The problem is, I don’t want to use images I find online and let that just be it, I want to try and make my own textures from scratch

Does anyone have any guides or tutorials on creating textures from scratch?
If someone would like to help with the textures as well, I can pm screenshots of the model and UV’s

Glewis

There’s many different ways of doing it. You can either export the UV layout, and texture it in an image editing program like gimp or photoshop, or you can use texture painting inside Blender.

Sorry, I don’t think I made my question clear :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m aware of what is needed to make the textures, I just don’t know how to make good textures, like what I can do to stop my textures literally just being paint strokes in GIMP or Photoshop like they are at the moment

Well, for one:

If your object has some modeled creases/bumps/insets, you can go to Vertex Paint mode and there select Paint->Dirty Vertex Colors. This will give you some background for your texture. You can either Bake it into texture and use as a layer in Gimp to multiply your colors with, or in Blender you can tick “Use Vertex Colors” in material settings, go to Texture Paint Mode and paint over that “dirt”.

For two:

You can Bake Ambient Occlusion map for your object and, again, use it as auxilliary layer in Gimp.

For three:

Seek up Kent Trammell’s Realistic Human Portrait series on blendercookie.com, he has couple of videos where he creates various textures for the head and for clothing, and he also explains exactly what he’s doing. Maybe you can get some ideas there :slight_smile:

How does someone bake something into a texture? (I’ve heard of people baking normal maps but never seen how to actually do it)

Thank you, Stan Pancakes your three tips seem, at first glance, to be exactly the types of things I’m looking for!

A nice tutorial about hard surface texture painting:
http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/42-tutorial-hard-surface-texture-painting.html

In a nutshell, on the Render tab of the Properties panel, at the very bottom is the “Bake” subpanel. There you can select what you’re baking (normals, AO, displacement, etc.), adjust some settings, and finally, bake. It’ll output image to currently selected texture.

EDIT: see also http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Bake. It’s a bit outdated (e.g. baking stuff like normals and displacement has now option to use highest multires level as source, etc.), but it’ll get you going :slight_smile:

Conz3D - Thank you for that link, I’ve bookmarked it now since that does in fact seem very useful for creating good hard surface textures

Stan - Thank you for your help, I’ve managed to figure out the Ambient Occlusion baking, but now I’m still confused about the real essentials of making a texture from scratch. For example, say I have a model of jeans (I don’t, I have two tube shaped objects which can be more or less described as legs in a pair of jeans :P) what techniques do people use to actually make textures that look like jeans, like all the pockets, zips, buttons, seams… How are all of these details made on textures?

There’s a very detailled tutorial about making jeans in Gimp from scratch :

Thank you Sanctuary! Taking a quick scan through that tutorial it goes over exactly the kinds of details I’m looking for, how people make all of the seams and other such things in their textures! I’ll try it out later.

Also, anyone else reading this, a quick question about baking Ambient Occlusion onto a texture, when I did it, I ended up with huge white patches and then black patches, is there some thing I did wrong? Is Ambient Occlusion linked to any material settings I should change?