Creature Concept - Alien Sea Creature

Alien creature concept from this week.

I envisioned it as having some features from echinoderms like sea lilies and starfish (with pentaradial symmetry) mixed with some octopus and lamprey elements. Its internal skeletal structure is calcite with calcite teeth and tooth-like knuckles protruding at the apex of the top tentacles. It has a water vascular system which it uses to move its limbs.

Its bowl-like dorsal area is used to trap small sea creatures and passes through its straight digestive tract with food being broken down and digested by internal calcite protrusions in its stomach.

The creature has 5 stalk-like appendages with 2 pronged toes which it can use to attach to surfaces on the ocean floor. Its tentacles are also pronged and covered in tube protrusions. These protrusions have the appearance of eggs which attract fish that become entangled and fed into its dorsal bowl.

I could keep going on about the creature but I think you get the idea :rofl:

Technical Info software etc…
I completed this project in about a week, the creature was primarily sculpted in zbrush, with the tentacle tubes being made in Blender. Texturing was done in substance mixed with some procedurals in blender. All renders were done in cycles, with some light retouching in photoshop. These renders were rough due to the volumetrics in the water, and bubble particle systems.

Clay cycles renders with subsurface.

Rigging was done with rigify components for posing purposes.

Thanks for stopping by!

65 Likes

this is just great!

rigging took the most time, didn’t it!!! :wink:

1 Like

Hey thanks! Yeah the rigging took a bit. Wasn’t too bad since I was just trying to pose it - the rigify plugin helps a ton but I didn’t name any of the bones so fixing the weight painting was a bit of a nightmare!

3 Likes

:+1:
Great work, congrats.

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

Love it, and i like that there’s a depth to it due to your considerations about the biology of the creature.

Would be great to animate it, but surely a nightmare…

3 Likes

Pretty cool creature - could really live down in the deep sea :smiley:

2 Likes

So rigify is good then? I know you can rig a couple different methods and I wondered if rigify was good.

2 Likes

I like it for posing, there’s a free series on using rigify components on youtube(he also sells a course) that demystified it for me. I’m awful at rigging and was able to wrap my head around it in about a day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JSFcSxsaTs&list=PLdcL5aF8ZcJv68SSdwxip33M7snakl6Dx

2 Likes

Looks great! :+1:

2 Likes

Really amazing. I love all the detail. Did you use geometry nodes? The rigging is really cool too. I haven’t learned that yet in Blender.

Terrific concept too.

1 Like

Amazing work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! No geo nodes on this one, just used the hair particle system with collection instances for the little tentacles, and a regular old particle system for the bubbles.

Nice! :+1:

1 Like

Cool! That is really cool

1 Like

Truly badass! Way to peg 11 on the Tentacle-o-meter!

1 Like

Ugh… Instead to forbid swimming on beach with warnings - threats , they can just post picture of this cutie, with info that this species live in this water.

1 Like

Spectacular. Really beautiful.

1 Like

Thanks so much Chris for the link! And the recommendation.

1 Like