Critique my lack of decorating skill

I downloaded this file from blendswap to investigate how it was put together:

It did not come with all of the textures so I’ve been playing around with the materials.

I have no sense of color coordination or decorating sense.

The only things I like in my edited version are the wall and marble counter top and the cat and the original tiled floor.

4 Likes

I like your version a lot better. Minimalist white rooms make me angry, you’ve taken something awful and made it so much better :grin: I would decorate a bathroom like this!

1 Like

To begin … your version clashes two different and distinct architectural styles up against each other.

Tudor style up against a classical style.

Elaborate. Google’s just telling me a bunch of vague stuff about the outsides of buildings.

I’m not sure about the marble mirror frame. Maybe silver, like the fixtures, or colored to match the window frame?

Your hanging lightbulbs also just disappear into the exposed beam. Usually there’s a cover thing up there.

Different lights, but it shows what I mean

1 Like

Those exposed wood ceiling members you added are in signature Tudor style. The window frame is in classical style. So too is the classical baseboard.
And on a minor yet still annoying level … those Tudor beams have a somewhat agitated energy ( think stripes instead of calm) , reverberate with the horizontal ribs of the window blind and again with those difficult cyan paint bands.

So what was once a calm … yet drab … bathroom, became a harsh confused noise!

More?

what we don’t see, is that it is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath house… so the designers designed the bathroom this way to chase people out quicker. >grinning<

more seriously, what would Tudor style window frame/baseboards look like instead?

The hypothetical client has painted the outside of the house like this:

And the architecture of the house is sort of like this:

but also mixed with a bit of this and that:

and is in a very colorful neighborhood:

These people like color and the roof may or may not have exposed wood. If it does, we could cover the wood but then the ceiling height would be decreased noticeably. I could paint the wood white… or orange? hmmm…

2 Likes

It’s worth noting that I showed this to my wife and she said “I would love to paint a bathroom like that”, what you’ve created may not be perfect from an interior decorator stance but it fits the taste of some of us perfectly :slight_smile:

4 Likes

its fine for me. I disagree with interior designers in any case. So I would say if you like it its fine.

It’s looking good.
I don’t think it’s built by a professional company, but it’s good. :smile:

One thing I’m sorry about is the floor tiles.
It looks so shiny and slippery.

1 Like

I know i’d rather go in bathroom with chonky cat painting

1 Like

One thing I don’t like is that in your render, because definition on the floor is missing and colors are different, it looks like cigarette butts in the puddle, rather than petals. It’s very hard to identify what they are and look like clutter.

Interesting… i think the top of the board using as full white marble and also using it as the frame of the mirror lightens thsi up… and the color bands makes thsi more interesting…
Maybe the wood at th ceiling… should be more sparse …?
…agitating energy… hmm… disturning noise… i don’t know… i find the original tapestry (or also tiles) by far more… disturbing… and the darker rectangular ones mor fitting…

well… the tiles on the floor… black on the floor and you see every spot or dust particle…

But i don’t know nothing about styles or inhouse design… and i would ask myself: where is my toothbrush ?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And yes… locale taste of choosing colors is essential… to satiesfy the client…

2 Likes

I see nothing wrong with butchering a few styles together, but then the way I see it, it would better look like it’s on purpose very clearly so different style elements should be mixed everywhere and in my opinion they should be spread out somewhat evenly through the space in that case and repeat.

I can’t think of too many suggestions for this case though. Maybe I would try to make the wood on the cabinet and on the ceiling beams more similar. It could be less vivid, sort of lighter and less saturated as well and the texture could be more calm even so it’s calm vs crazy vivid?.. It’s hard to do much with walls so active, but maybe the rug could be the same vivid color so the radioactive vividness repeats and then the blinds could be wooden as well(not too sure about this being a good idea, because it would not match the decoration around the window and if you removed that, then there would probably be too few classical elements). My idea would be to have repeating materials mixed throughout the space so it’s sort of blended together a bit more.

Good interior designers would not block the drawers - maybe the cabinet does not need to touch the wall? The top drawers would be lost to the plumbing anyway but the two bottom ones could still be regular drawers if not blocked. I see a problem with the lights - they could not be mounted like this and some sort of a base/canopy would be there. The floor seems a bit out of place to me, maybe it could be more classical, maybe some sort of stone?.. The bath tub is just ugly(just my opinion of course) so it could be changed to something different, maybe more classical as well. Something with a curved top, I don’t know maybe something similar to this:

(not sure if black is the right color here though)

The mirror and the tabletop could also have classical elements some sort of fancy chamfers, or whatever they are called in English(sorry if I don’'t know correct interior design terms in English by the way). And there could be some crazy vivid accessories.

1 Like

I think I’ll make the floor rougher like the original render.

It might actually wind up getting a lot more busy up there to look closer to the real roof in one of my friend’s houses. Most likely something like this:

or worse:

I’m kind of colorblind. Apparently anytime I manually adjust anything like wood or coffee I wind up making it radioactive. I’ve been told “radioactive” far too many times of the years.

In real life it is inevitable that these blinds will be replaced with wooden ones that don’t disintegrate from sunlight exposure and feline recreation. I should probably just make them wooden/bamboo.

They can open:

They won’t be as deep as you expect but they could still be a good depth.

The original hexagon tile floor and size and texture of the drawers is what client liked most about the original blend file. I already suggested bigger square tiles since they would be faster and easier to install, commonly available on the island, easier to replace if damaged. Client still wants them to be dark and shiny though.

What is more stereo-typically classical than a claw foot tub?

Can you give some examples?

With this images… it seems to fit even more…

Sidenote: …if those rectangular outflows are “real”… then i do not want to clean this… every week ? … :rofl: oh my… architects and designers…

The “marble” would be custom made poured from some kind of plastic so they could mold or shave the inside of the “bowl” to not be so angular. If they actually bought a bowl I think it’ll probably be angled like this on the inside:

With those unpainted wood beams? Maybe in keeping would be simpler framing lines.

1 Like

Those beams structural? Seen somewhere in your ref images (the one with yellow shutters) are some painted exposed roof trusses looks like their spacing is about 24" on center.