Crossworlds (or crap to you image bashers)

Kansas… chill. Stop a moment and think. Take a deep breath. Okay- now. These people are only trying to help you. They don’t hate you, and aren’t trying to discourage you. They are simply frustrated at how you don’t seem to want to take advice from there.

Signed,

Freud. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kansas_15: I know that people have been harsh to you, but quite honestly you have annoyed some people with some of your posts and that is somewhat being reflected in the critiques you are being given.

That aside, stop feeling sorry for yourself and work on improving your skills. Talk the criticism you’ve received and put it into the work you are producing, instead of wasting your time with threats of giving up and blaming it on the people who’ve posted to C&C your work.

I would recommend spending some time polishing and come back with your work when you’re ready to handle some criticism.

Maybe you’ll never be @ndi (how of many of us will), but anyone can learn the skills necessary to be somewhat successful at 3D artwork. Good luck.

Well, if wanting you to become better makes us party poopers, sorry - we are.

A lot of the criticism leveled at your works has been constructive, with tips on how to improve -and you shunned it.

Time and time we try to help you, and you ignore us, attack us and make us feel like we shouldn’t be trying.

So…

I quit.

I will never again give you advice or help unless you show that you are willing to at least comment rationally on it.

There is only one person who can improve your work, you. If you are not moving forward then you cannot blame it on us.

For instance:

You still use primitives mainly, this indicates lack of care.

Your lighting setup never seems to change, personally I never stick to the same lighting setup unless I have been 100% pleased with the outcome (never).

If you don’t want advice, don’t post your work.

If you do want it, use it.

Nothing ever came without hard work, if you spend a few hours on an image and expect to see it in the Tate you need to move into modern art, this is a different kettle of fish.

(Following in heat of moment :expressionless: , ignore: not intended to be answered, I apologise for any offense caused./////You are everything that America stands for (take that how you will))

Alex

• sigh *

Dude, your 16.

That means your too old to whine like this and young enough to have a lot of time improving your skills. If you want to be praised for every cube you’ve rendered, go find yourself a kiddieforum. If you want to improve, take atleast some advice and use it.

Okay, i’ll try this again, I updated the image once more with a new lighting setup using a hemilight along with a sunlight for the no shadow part with the sunlight being the main source and the hemi being the ambiant color of the atmosphere with an area lamp for shadows and all blue tinted and with the colors not sticking in your face and burning your eyes as much.

Not sure if this was meant as flamebait but I purely resent that statement! Americans that act like this don’t tend to succeed. America is full of ambitious people but of course there are always people on the other end of the spectrum. Please refrain from judging American’s into one group based on Kansas_15’s posts!

Even though this government is fastly slipping away from what I feel are America’s core values, your statement stinks! Can’t we all just get along?

Kansas,

I’ve been watching your posts for a while, and believe me, I’m nobody to judge art. But it seems to me that all you’re hoping for is praise of your work or trying to impress people or something. When you “whip up” something like this in a couple hours, what do you expect people to say? Can you honestly say that you’re satisfied enough with this image to present it as something you worked hard at? If you worked hard and are proud of it, then thank you for sharing your work. But if not, then why post it? What do you want people to say? Only post something that you’re proud to share or want constructive crits how it can be improved.

I’ve also been watching your crits of other people’s work. To be honest, you talk like you’re a grand-master. When you say things like “not bad for a first post” or something similar, it sounds like you’re saying you can do much better.

I’m not saying that your work is crap, but I think people give you such a hard time because of your attitude. Try to learn from everyone instead of trying to impress everyone.

And don’t give up because people don’t like your work. If you’re happy with it then that’s all the matters. But if you’re only looking for praise, then you may have a tough road ahead of you. Ask yourself what your motive is for posting your work.

That’s all I have to say. Take it as you will.

What i’ve been trying to do is make the images so that not only i’m happy with it but the people here would also like it. And the only problem is that I get discouraged way too easily if they say it needs this and needs that and so on.

Well, as this is art forum people give you their mind about your work (and if you are lucky you’ll get their real opinion, not sugared up versions) and they some times might be harsh. But elYisun is not as hard for people as it could be.
On Cgtalk people tend to rip peoples work apart, if they even bother to replay anything. And that is even bigger insult.

on the other hand, there are some, honestly said, better work than yours here, which do not get half the attention your pieces are getting. And thats not right either.

Well, as this is art forum people give you their mind about your work (and if you are lucky you’ll get their real opinion, not sugared up versions) and they some times might be harsh. But elYisun is not as hard for people as it could be.
On Cgtalk people tend to rip peoples work apart, if they even bother to replay anything. And that is even bigger insult.

on the other hand, there are some, honestly said, better work than yours here, which do not get half the attention your pieces are getting. And thats not right either.[/quote]
So what about CGtalk, nearly every piece of artwork on the whole board is photoreal.

Most of the works on CGTalk took lots of time:

• concept
  • modeling everything you need
  • rigging (if necessary)
  • preparing textures
  • building shaders
  • lighting
  • camera
  • rendering
  • compositing / post-production

it’s not something that can be done in an hour. If you are trying to meet high requirements, it’s hard work.

Kansas_15:

I’ve just been reading through some of your posts and threads, and you seem to have a bizarre attitude. People seem to get a little frustrated with you (to say the least) because your attitude towards criticism leaves something to be desired. Members of Elysiun post all sorts of diverse art, and the reason almost 100% of them do this, is to get feedback, which means praise, criticism or just general comments. I would also assume that this is what you post for. Did you really expect people to give you no criticism on this image? What exactly were you expecting? If I personally was commenting on this picture, I would say that its a nice idea, but really needs a lot of work to make it an image that is fun to look at.
A lot of people are trying to give you advice, but you seem to just almost erupt everytime anyone says, well, anything!
We all know that text comes across in a different tone as apposed to conversation. I honestly think that if you tone things down a little, people will be more responsive towards you, but you really have to learn that if you post an image here, or on any forum for that matter, there will be people who like it, and people who dont. The more criticism you take as advice, the better you will become with using blender, and as a result you will get better and better comments.

I have written a long post here yesterday, then erased it as I think there is just no point to commenting to Kansas’ work, because he just doesn’t take advice. Still, I’ll try once more.
Kansas, I think the main problem here is that you expect to do great stuff without actually working on it. I mean you whip images up daily, and you already have more than most of us who have been doing this a lot longer.
The most important thing in cg imho is attention to details. You can’t just whip something up in an hour or so (unless it’s something very simple, like my worms, as they weren’t aimed to be art, only illustrations), you can’t just stick the same textures everywhere, you actually have to think about every tiny detail in the scene, how it should look, and why it should look like that. And this is also the hardest part of it, because I know it’s very hard to take every brick on a wall, and think about how it got touched by weather and stuff, but if you really want to make it look real, you have to do that, and resist the temptation to finish it fast. And even if you don’t want to make it look real, you still have to do that, just from a different perspective (why is it there, what does it mean, etc.)
It’s your choice, but if you choose not to spend time on it, and not to pay attention to details, but stick some uniform texture on everything, and only work with primitive objects(cube, cylinder, cone, etc) instead of modelling everything, and only apply uniform lighting, then that’s it, you’ll be an unappreciated artist with lots of images. It’s ok IMHO to be that guy, I think if you’re OK with that, then it’s fine, but if you wanted to be that other guy, who’s praised by everyone for his art, you better work on it, for those things (just as everything else) don’t come to you all by themselves.
And you shouldn’t take comments like this one to your heart. Take them, or leave them, it’s also your choice. As I said, you can be anyone you want to be, it’s art after all, it’s yours, no matter what, but work on being that guy you chose. (This of course doesn’t apply if you eventually want to make a living by doing CG, than there are standards, you have to live up to, but until than l’art pour l’art is very personal, and if this was what you liked, it’s all good, just then you shouldn’t care so much about what we think of your work.)

First you tell me my lighting and texturing skills are non existant and now you say I can’t make images outside of plain crap. If something is wrong with my images I would know about it before I post the dang thing up here, thanks to you and your goody goody I can make elite images I just lost all confidence in modeling. I’m tired of you saying they’re crap and tired of seeing people entirely new to blender end up making better images. I’m tired of trying for realistic and good looking textures and nice lighting setup only to get “this and that needs improvement and bla bla bla” Now if I could I could spam up this place in revenge to the point above where your minds can even comprehend. And I might as well since you think i’m no good at making images, even if they’re simple ones.

If i’m the only one who likes my images so be it, I don’t need your image trash talk, I don’t need anybody.

Is it so you decide to call it just crap even before you actually see the image? As if you decide to falsely accuse it of errors you simply make up? How are all the textures the same? Why do you think I use only primitives I start with a primitive but it doesn’t always end up looking like one. Why else do primitives exist anyway.

Pardon my Noobish-ness, but look what yah just said!

"I’m tired of trying for realistic and good looking textures and nice lighting setup only to get “this and that needs improvement and bla bla bla”

Thats the wrong kind of attitude man.
The point is not to become the best, it’s to become better
I too have looked at your image gallery.
I would say you have tons of potential, but you need to listen to the comments of the wise people of elysiun!
The only reason they are getting frustrated is that you take contructive criticism as something offensive.
Try putting those finishing touches to images, and listen to what others say!

First, I have seen all your images in the gallery, they all have the same problems, which is fine, as I said, you need to work on those. I’m not the only one saying these things, you just don’t listen. It’s not your art that is the problem, it’s your attitude towards criticism, that it seems to me you can’t take it, constructive or not. (you shouldn’t even read non-constructive ones)
Second, so you seem to have made a choice. You chose not to improve, it’s ok, your call, but you should notice that all these people are actualy trying to help, me included. If you would just read these posts from that point of view, you would improve, but you just chose not to. Fine, have fun, really, from now on that’s all that matters.
How long have you been doing CG anyway? You have just joined 3 months ago. Come on, noone is going to make cool images in 3 months. You said you wouldn’t have posted if you knew what was wrong with your images. That’s the whole point, all these forum members are telling you what’s wrong with them, but you just get all sad, and don’t listen. Noone even implied that you will never make great images, from what I’ve read and written, to me it seems everyone was telling you how to improve so that you will eventualy make great images. But now you chose not to listen, so it doesn’t matter anymore.
C ya.
ps. I’m just sad, you had a very good sense of composition, I was hoping you’d make that work. O well, maybe later.

I worked with blender since the beginning of May, joining the blender community is not a requirement for blender users.

Eh, nevermind this post.

in case you havent realized, Kansas…

NOONE in this forum has ever said that your work is crap

IN THIS CASE, you cannot act as if your one-hour works will automatically make you a 3D god

this kind of stuff takes work…

and a damn lot of improvement afterwards

~Delta