Cryptomatte: how to select tiny object?

I’m working on an poster with lots of detail. In my compositor, I’ve maximized the viewer node. I’m trying to pick a tiny object (the embers part of a fire) but the pickwhip doesn’t let me select it because it’s too small.

→ Is there another way to select objects besides the pickwhip? I can’t seem to pickwhip from the outliner. Can I just type the names in the matte ID field of the Cryptomatte node?

Picking is sooooooo time consuming. When I use geometry nodes to scatter a collection I need to pick all of the scattered objects, or parent them to an empty to pick the asset. Just picking from outliner would be way faster for me. Or I would love to just pick a collection as a cryptomatte…

Are you not using the backdrop zoom?

Yes.

Yes: viewer preview is maximised on my 27" screen. That’s not enough.

Thanks!

I solved it by parenting multiple objects to a null and picking the CryptoAsset, not ideal but it works.

I don’t see how that is possible because the zoom property practically has no hard limit. Sliding might stop at 100, but you can manually enter massively larger numbers.
For example I can zoom a 10,800×5400 image so show only a single pixel. That said, at a zoom of 100 I could easily pick individual pixels even on a 14" display.

I tried it: zoomed backdrop in until my pixels were really big, “Pick” view of the crypto node set to “CryptoObject”. Semi transparent or tiny objects (smoke and embers of the fire) did not show up in the pickwhip, bigger object on the same level (flames) were easily pickable.

(But as I said, parenting solved it because the smoke and embers get picked together with the flames.)