Crystalis remake

So this is my new blender project. its a remake of the 1980s NES game Crystalis. Basically i’m planning on taking the original game and developing it a bit more. adding more story, items, powers etc. as for right now i’m just trying to get the first level blocked out. here are some screen shots

I am having a couple of issues i was hoping i could get some feedback on.

1. I want to have the camera follow the location of the main character but not the rotation creating that great top down RPG style we all know and love. right now I have it set up like this.
    Empty with a copy location constraint to the Main Character
    The Camera is a child of the Empty
    this achieves what I want in object mode but it dosent work in the game engine. any suggestions?:confused:

2)Currently my textures are all coming out blury become they are small (usually 64x64 or 128x128) i don’t really want to add any more detail to the maps i’m making cause i kinda want a similar style to mine craft where the pixels are rendered shape and not blurry. any suggestions for how to achieve this?

anyway hope you enjoy what i’ve done so far

1. Vertex parenting is what you want. Select the child, then also select the parent, go into edit mode, select a vertex, and press Ctrl+P to vertex parent). You can also select vertex parenting under the object tab, I believe, but I’m not sure which vertex it will pick, so it may not be desired.
  2. Use a Python script to disable mipmaps. This should be the script you need:

from bge import render

render.setMipmapping(render.RAS_MIPMAP_NONE)

Put that in a text resource and then use a Python script controller to run it. It should only be run once.

P.S. I liked Crystalis. Cool to see a pixel-heavy remake of it. I think that your texture sizes might be too large to really benefit from the look disabling mipmaps will get you, but that’s to be seen for sure if you do disable the mipmaps.

Nice screen shots THE_PIE.

If you want the camera to follow the character without rotating just parent the camera to the character by selecting first the camera and by pressing shift and right click at the same time the character,after doing so press ctrl and p and choose to vertex.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]271192[/ATTACH]

Hey Guys,
Heres a quick update on the map so far.

1. Vertex Parenting works great! the camera now follows the main character as he moves around! ya!
  2. I tried turning off the mipmaps with the script mentioned above but it doesn’t seem to work. every time I run it i get an error saying python has fail, look in the console for now…

As far as the game goes. I’ve done a few more models and textures and have almost finished the town of leaf

Next step will be to add some playability to the game. you know, animations, collision detection. who knows maybe i’ll even get that little blue guy to start moving around and wreaking some havoc. any way thats all for now.

Hi there,

I like your work on this so far. I have next to zero ability when it comes to blender so not much I can do to help, but keep up the great work!

Any way, can we see a close up of the main char model? Are you planning on keeping the game low poly or just a wip?
Love to see more.

Hey all
Heres an update of the main Character

its still kina a work in progress but it works for now. i’ve also updated the map

I’ve had a little trouble with collision detection and animation. I have a basic “walking” animation, i have the amerature as a parent of the mesh and i have keyboard actuators for both the mesh (for motion) and the amerature ( for the animation). the problem is when i try and change the main character mesh into a dynamic mesh for collision detection. it dosen’t make any difference (my guess is because its parented to the amerature) but when i set the amerature as the dynamic object it acts all weird and dosen’t.

How can I get animation and collision detection to work?

Nice work,you might want to use a box for the characters collision since it’s more effective and it increases the performance of the game.
So what you need to do is to have a box sized up to the size of your character mesh,parent the armature to the box, make the box dynamic and invisible(make sure that both armature and character mesh have no collision).

Since it’s long to explain I will upload a blend.file as soon as I finish my mock-exams(which is next friday) to show you how it looks like.

Sorry for not uploading the file on Friday,here is the blend file.
The controls are w-to move forward
s-backwords
a-d to rotate
[ATTACH]277957[/ATTACH]

Hey The Pie, just wondering if you were still working on the crystalis remake or not? It looks awesome what you have so far of Leaf :slight_smile: