Ctrl-Alt-Zero, not moving camera to view, and "apply transformations" not working on camera..?

I don’t know why my camera is not locking to my view effectively when I press Ctrl-Alt-0, and when I press 0, the camera seems to be skewed.

It may be because of my transformations (or other settings) I looked at the transformations and tried to apply them but I can’t for some reason.

I changed my camera from Orthographic to perspective, but still didn’t totally resolve the skewing, and moving to the view. There are no constraints.

You can’t apply transformations to cameras, as they contain no data (as opposed to say mesh objects, which contain mesh data). So there’s nothing to apply really.

This description is insufficient

Capture ?

Ctrl Alt Zero is shortcut to align Active Camera to View.
It is not shortcut to lock camera to view.

By default, there is no shortcut for that option.
And purpose of that option is to have camera view following view navigation.
If you want to lock location or rotation of camera, you have to enable locks in Transform panel.

Here in this GIF, I start off at the angle and perspective I want then I press Ctrl-Alt-0 to get my camera to that view.
But you can see when I press Crtl-Alt-0 the camera automatically zooms right in, then I press 0 to get out of that camera view. Then I press 0 again to get back into the camera view and zoom out. You can see the perspective is not as I want it.
Animation7

This is the perspective I want:

So this is the perspective I don’t want (which is the camera view, pressing 0):

I believe the lock to camera view option moves the camera when you zoom out, rather than changing the view angle

1 Like

The operator align camera to view doesn’t take focal length into account, you probably need to lower it in camera properties so it matches your perspective view exactly

1 Like

I altered the focal length. Now when I press ctrl-alt-0, it doesn’t zoom in, its the right distance. However, the camera still has the wrong perspective.
Here’s the camera/render view. The vanishing point of the wood at the sides is very different to the vanishing point of my non-camera/render view.

Wrong perspective (this is my camera/render view):

Perspective non-camera/render, this is the perspective I want:

have you tried just manually moving the camera where you want it?

The camera to view operator isn’t very precise, so I wouldn’t rely upon it for precise tasks like this.

1 Like

How is it not precise ? in my experience it works as expected any time I use it (which is not often, but I just tried recreating the issue and I can’t)

@Ian_SAfc I can see the difference in viewpoint… I can’t explain it tbh. I generally place my camera by locking it to the view and moving the view, so if everything else fails, you can still do that.

Hmm, I do have it locked to view. I deleted my exisitng camera and added a new one. Same deal. Maybe theres something in my setup somewhere else thats messing things up. I can get my camera to the right distance etc., but never to the same perspective as my view.

After playing with it for a while, It does seem to be fairly precise with the location of the camera, it’s just how the viewport compensates for the camera/viewport offset and FOV

@Ian_SAfc
I still can’t replicate your issue exactly, but do you have any x/y shift on your camera?

They already showed a capture in the first post, shift values are untouched.

FOV I can see, but what do you mean by camera/viewport offset ?

The shift x,y = 0.
Could this have something to do with my origin points, or 3d cursor?
This seems to be a vanishing point/perspective issue.

It really should not. Can you please share your file? you can strip it down to the basics, remove the models, etc. Just leave a stand-in model (let’s say a few boxes where the important bits are) so the difference between viewport and camera is obvious.

2 Likes

if you are in camera view and you pan around, then exit camera view, move the viewport and press crtl+alt+0 it will be offset from the viewport.

Hmmm, it just snaps back to the position you set while panning earlier. That’s what I’m seeing

Yeah, the jump from viewport to camera position makes it hard to position the camera precisely.

What jump ? I don’t think I replicated all the steps.

1. be in camera view (with “lock camera to view”)
  2. pan view (shift+mmb)
  3. exit camera view
  4. pan viewport (you said “move”, so I assume any viewpoint transformation works)
  5. execute operator “align active camera to view” (ctrl+alt+˚numpad0)

I see nothing unexpected ?

Oh ok I get it now, nevermind. You just have to reset your view with the home key. But that can’t be the same issue OP is having, because their viewport and their camera views appear actually different, not just “differently centered”.

1 Like

Here’s my stripped down blend file. If you toggle the 0 key, you will see the subtle change in perspective from the view to the camera\render view.

Ok, frankly I’m a bit stumped. I can see the change in viewpoint, and I checked by placing an empty as close as possible to the perspective viewpoint, and it sits meters away from the camera position. Then I tried “align active camera to view” (using the same perspective viewpoint from your file) and it worked, although it also zoomed in on the model quite a bit. I then lowered the camera’s focal length and at about 28mm it seemed to match with the viewport. Can you check if this works for you?

I’m not sure what this all means. It seems like the viewport & camera focal lengths work differently somehow? because before I changed anything you had 50mm in both.

Generally, regardless of this issue, I would advise setting up your camera directly, using “lock camera to view”.