I have an animation set up where I built a logo out of separate objects, tear it apart in reverse using keyframes to tear it apart cleanly, and then tear it apart forwards to make another transition.
The problem is with the forward part of the logo animation sequence. Because this sequence is going to be longer and will require less precision (and indeed, more smooth curve following) I am trying to use curve constraints instead of keyframes. However, every time I add the constraint for the curve following, the objects center gets translated to some location that I can’t seem to control. I’ve tried setting all sorts of options.
What I’m trying to do is just have a few curves and have most of the objects follow them (with different delays) while using lattices to animate the shapes of the curves to achieve a slightly varying path shape for each object. The problem is that I can’t seem to add the path constraints to achieve the animation without messing up the locations of the object.
What I’m instead getting is the keyframes occur and end in a different location than before the constraint was added. Because I can’t control the location of the objects new location relative to the beginning of the curve (if I try to snap the object it won’t go to the correct location, if I snap the curve, I’m having to eyeball it to get proper alignment of objects following it) I can’t achieve curve re-use like I want.
Boiled down version:
Before I add the follow path constraint, the objects are where I want them at that point in the animation. After I add the constraints, the objects are not where I had them. Before the curve is even being followed. The keyframes I had already set up are occuring at different locations. I can’t even move the object from the location applied to it by the curve without moving the curve itself.
Here’s what the tear-apart looks like so far. I animated the first part with keyframes to be sure I won’t have any collisions. The bricks of sand fly into place for the first logo where I do a texture animation to ice (glass with some mods) and then the bricks shed way to the right while the geometry keys turn them into flakes. All flakes are copies of the same mesh with varying ammounts of some vertext keys I made to vary the final shape. At this point they’re all still in animation, so some of them look more like the hexagonal prism transition shape I used.