This Addon is work in progress (but already working) and available for free. At the moment there are a few custom shapes for Boxcutter but the addon works already.
Download the .zip file on github: https://github.com/NewMediaSupply/NMS_BCs
Install as any other addon in Blender
How to use the addon:
Enable Boxcutter wilt Alt+W. In Boxcutter choose custom shape and best is to snap to center of face, and draw origin at center. Switch over to NMS_BCs in the N-Panel and select a shape (custom shape). Select your object you want to cut and drag the mouscursor while pressing Ctrl.
How to contribute
The idea is that other addon-developers can contribute and the addon will stay free. Though, others can build libraries of shapes and give them away or sell them.
It’s my first time I have a project like this on Github, but I understand developers can fork (clone) the repository, adjust it, and do a pull request.
The idea is to create categories like O, T, U, L shapes for example. The addon should be very simple with the focus on; it’s a library of custom shapes.
- More assets
- Categories (OTULS shapes).
- Keep focus on selected object that’s going to cut
- Delete appended object once Boxcutter has it.
- Clear Orphans if that’s a good idea.
Why I started this project?
Initially I thought I develop a paid addon, but the idea to share it as free addon looks more exciting. I think everyone will benefit from this:
- Users of boxcutter will have a library always at hand for free. (If they want they can also buy libraries).
- Even more interest in Boxcutter, so the developers of Boxcutter will benefit a bit.
- One can build assets and give them away of sell them
So the idea is: Addon is always free. Assets could be free, but could also be a paid library.
Everyone happy with it? If not, let me know.