cutting a hole in cube with subdivision surface modifier already applied

I’m trying to cut a rectangular hole in my cube. You can download my source file on this link. The cube was tempered with subdivision modifier and and the shading is smooth. This is what I got so far:

I used the left block and a boolean modifier to cut a hole. The problem is that I need my hole to be exactly the same shape as block-right angles are necessity. The Blender gives a warning that my boolean modifier is not the first one and that results may not be what I expect. So how do I cut a block hole out of the object with smooth surface? This really bugs me and I’m very thankful for your help.

1. In edit mode, select the cube vertices only (the uploaded .blend has one extra vertex selected)
  2. Still in edit mode, press Shift+E to set the “crease” value – drag your mouse to the right or type in the number 1 to maximize the value
  3. Apply an “Edge Split” modifier below your subsurf modifier.

Quick tip: the BoolTool addon is great as it allows you to apply non destructive booleans, and place your boolean before or after subsurf

Hi

[QUOTE=
The Blender gives a warning that my boolean modifier is not the first one and that results may not be what I expect. [/QUOTE]

It tells…The boleon modifier need to be first in the modifier stack…In the properties panel below add modifiers.

Eg. You have a subdiv modifier + a boleon modifier in the add modifier stack…Click the little arrow top right to move it up or down…To fix it.

There is a few thing there need to be right before the Boleon modifier work ass it should…Location in the stack is on of them.

Another is Scale…When You add a mesh it’s Scale is 1 - If You change the object in object mode the Scale change.

Click big box in Your Blend file…And look in - N Panel - Transform - Scale…Scale isen’t 1…It can give problem when You use modifier…So…select the box Press Ctrl + a and select apply rotation and Scale…To set Scale back to 1…:slight_smile:

Last is normals… In Edit mode… T Panel - shading Normals…Below is recalculate…Use it to check Your mesh.

Hope this make sense…Puff Puff

Tai

Is this a boolean usage exercise? If not - use I-key Inset on selected opposite faces. http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=90368

Edit: Inset works on several selected faces as well.

kind of sloppy ( edge loops ), but what the heck…