Cycles Compiling Error on openSUSE

Hello,

I’ve been trying to build Cycles on my openSUSE box for about a week. However, I keep getting this message:

Linking CXX executable ../../bin/blender                                                   
now run: "make install" to copy runtime files & scripts to /home/durandal/Applications/blender-cycles/build/bin/2.57
[ 96%] Built target blender
[ 96%] Built target cycles_util
[ 96%] Building CXX object intern/cycles/render/CMakeFiles/cycles_render.dir/background.cpp.o                                                                                         
In file included from /usr/include/boost/smart_ptr/detail/sp_counted_base_gcc_x86.hpp:27:0,
                 from /usr/include/boost/smart_ptr/detail/sp_counted_base.hpp:36,
                 from /usr/include/boost/smart_ptr/detail/shared_count.hpp:29,
                 from /usr/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:32,
                 from /usr/include/boost/shared_ptr.hpp:17,
                 from /usr/include/boost/thread/pthread/thread_data.hpp:10,
                 from /usr/include/boost/thread/thread.hpp:17,
                 from /usr/include/boost/thread.hpp:13,
                 from /home/durandal/Applications/blender-cycles/blender/intern/cycles/render/../util/util_thread.h:22,
                 from /home/durandal/Applications/blender-cycles/blender/intern/cycles/render/../device/device.h:27,
                 from /home/durandal/Applications/blender-cycles/blender/intern/cycles/render/background.cpp:20:
/usr/include/boost/detail/sp_typeinfo.hpp: In instantiation of ‘boost::detail::sp_typeinfo boost::detail::sp_typeid_<void>::ti_’:
/usr/include/boost/function/function_base.hpp:636:25:   instantiated from here
/usr/include/boost/detail/sp_typeinfo.hpp:77:48: error: conversion from ‘const char*’ to non-scalar type ‘boost::detail::sp_typeinfo’ requested
make[2]: *** [intern/cycles/render/CMakeFiles/cycles_render.dir/background.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [intern/cycles/render/CMakeFiles/cycles_render.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have been following the Cycles building guide at: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Render/Cycles/Building. I set up the directories like it said and used that exact CMake configuration. It all seemed to be going well until I typed “make -j2 install” and got this message.

I believe I have all of the dependencies (the openSUSE equivalents to those listed) and I have built the normal Blender svn successfully before. Additionally, I have been able to force it to build with the “-i” flag. However, the Cycles didn’t work on the resulting build.

I couldn’t find any solution on Google. Honestly, I wasn’t sure what part of this error to search. The error indicates that it is a problem with boost. My CMake configuration says it has the correct path to my boost library so I think it is more than make just not finding it.

My guess is that I have a different version of boost (I think Ubuntu runs libboost 1.43) or the source has an error in it (this error is reminds me of the errors I get when my Java compiler gets mad at me).

So I guess my question is, is there something that I can do to make it compile successfully, like adding a compiler flag or meeting a dependency, or should I just file a bug report, sit back, relax, and wait for it to come out of alpha?

If you need additional information about my system or the problem, please let me know.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Wishing you the best,

Durandal

Here is some information about my system:

My system specs are:
-AMD Turion X2 64
-3 GB RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G running the NVIDIA 260.19.44 driver (I know, not what you need for GPU rendering)

My system is using:
openSUSE 11.4 64bit
-libboost 1.44.0-5.1
-cmake 2.8.3-5.2
-make 3.82-140.1
-gcc 4.5-19.1
-libglew1.5.8-11.1
-If you have questions about other libs, please ask. These are the ones I think might be related to the problem.

I fixed it by downloading and using libboost 1.42. I might make a tutorial for building Cycles on openSUSE if anyone is interested.

Durandal