Cycles new microdisplacement testing, discussion and blend sharing

Oh… a mac os x version of this one, would be nice!!:evilgrin:

Hello, i am trying to build on mac OS X but im getting these errors:
/Users/giorgio/blender-build/blender/intern/cycles/render/mesh.cpp:297:29: error:
expected expression
patches.push_back_reserved({v0, v1, v2, v3, shader_, smooth_});
^
/Users/giorgio/blender-build/blender/intern/cycles/render/mesh.cpp:600:20: error:
expected expression
patch_data[i] = {p.v[0] + vert_offset,
^
[ 17%] Building CXX object extern/bullet2/CMakeFiles/extern_bullet.dir/src/BulletCollision/BroadphaseCollision/btQuantizedBvh.cpp.o
2 errors generated.
make[2]: *** [intern/cycles/render/CMakeFiles/cycles_render.dir/mesh.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [intern/cycles/render/CMakeFiles/cycles_render.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…

i gave it up on osx, also new errors, i’ll wait for the master buildbot when it will be… and also its still far from finished (beta), they still have many new ideas according to the discussions (so early alpha).

I guess we will have to wait. I am also getting tons of errors here, while trying to compile this version.

To be honest, i would like to have UV support. I would not mind to stick with linear tessellation only, for now.:smiley:

I downloaded a build from graphicall.org the other day for windows, but it doesn’t work!
Every time I click ‘render’ blender crashes…

Is this a problem at my end or the build?

Bert

Any idea on how to make the displacement dynamic like in Kai Kostack’s video?

I wondered about using drivers on the displacement parameters, or using Camera View Distance somewhere on the node chain that connects to the Displacement output of the material, but my knowledge couldn’t connect the dots.

as far as i know, it’s automatic. Subdivisions are computed relative to the screen space that a surface occupies in camera view

Any idea on how to make the displacement dynamic like in Kai Kostack’s video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZc6vz5klsQ

I wondered about using drivers on the displacement parameters, or using Camera View Distance somewhere on the node chain that connects to the Displacement output of the material, but my knowledge couldn’t connect the dots.

I dissected that method a while back, he used drivers to change the level of subsurf based on distance from the camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KUpDJBH1CM

The difference here is that its not the distance from the camera to an entire object, but the distance from the camera to specific vertices of said object, do you know what I mean?

It’d be like in your example, if the camera approached the nose of suzanne, the nose would be more subdivided while the mouth wouldn’t as much, and if the camera approached the mouth of suzanne, then the mouth would be more subdivided while the nose not as much.

It is “vertex/area-to-camera” distance subdivision, not “object-to-camera” distance subdivision.

And not only that, to be “area dependent” the Kai Kostack’s video suggests that whatever method he used can integrate different levels of subdivision inside the same object (all different levels connecting perfectly with each other), while the regular microdisplacement build that we have here in this thread appears to only support one level of subdivision per entire object.

That’s why I wondered if someone has any idea how Kostack managed to do it.

Not really, imagine the terrain is built of many pieces:
www.youtube.com
Also, if you want to discuss this further make an own thread.

set the subdiv rate to 5 or higher

Todays linux build:

– PACKAGE-INFORMATION –
Branch: temp-cycles-microdisplacement
Revision: 683c195
Submodules: locale a87cfb8 addons 75fb4e0 addons_contrib 72c24a1
Builddate: Fr 24. Jun 18:40:07 UTC 2016
Filesize: 76483732 byte
Shasum: 31633fd074382f39f94b89718e12dd7ecb421ede
URL: http://www.jensverwiebe.de/Blender/blender_temp-cycles-microdisplacement_linux64_latest.tar.xz

Jens

Just a heads up. Mai has just committed another big basket of commits to her branch (with notable improvements to Ngon handling among other things).

By the looks of things, the commit parade is still ongoing, so you might want to hold off on the builds a little.

Initial OpenSubDiv support (yes, that is for Cycles rendering as opposed to the current viewport implementation)
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2016-June/088097.html

It’s not complete yet, but it seems progress is going pretty well right now.

opensubdiv means catmull-clark subdiv which is important for testing - linear subdiv is kinda useless

Thank you very much jensverwiebe!
I am totally dependent on your portable build here because I can not compile with OpenSubdiv in Kubuntu 14.04.

Oh cool,

How do I use it? (got the build, I think)

How is this project coming along? I am really interested.

Another series of commits was just pushed that adds full support for the subdivision of mesh attributes (such as what you can access through the Geometry node and friends)
https://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2016-July/088579.html

Fully subdivided UV support though is not one of them at the moment (due to a current limitation of the OpenSubDiv library and not due to a limitation of Blender).