Cycles_path_guiding tests

“Filter Glossy” basically pretends glossy bounces from surfaces with a roughness > 0, i.e. there is some randomness to the light path’s bounce direction, instead of a perfectly specular bounce from a sharp mirror.

This means caustic paths are much easier to find, but also that they are blurred.
It’s basically designed to sidestep this issue with SDS paths (among other things) - the only reason it’s sensible is because, with regular Cycles up until now, Caustics were practically useless anyway. Might as well make use of those paths in ways the path tracing algorithm can actually handle instead of just entirely losing that energy.

With these shiny new rendering techniques that may be far less necessary though. To get this many caustics this cleanly after just 55 SPP is quite insane. - If you look at my render with 500SPP you’l see caustics basically don’t exist at all yet beyond noise, and even the much higher sample rate render looks noisy (though at least you can tell what the caustics ought to be)

Maybe you should try re-rendering your volumetric scene with Filter Glossy and Indirect clamping turned off too

@sherholz btw, just in case that is of use to you and you somehow don’t already have an equivalent test, feel free to use that scene as ever you see fit. I’ma say it’s CC0

1 Like

I did,same settings 500 samples with PG on, clamping and filter 0.

Its noisy as you can see.Maybe only usefull for wave refractions on the ground and denoising,in this case.

For comparison,same settings without PG active.

With pathguiding is less noisy

1 Like

Gotta compare to the equivalent version without PG - honeslty, while noisy, it doesn’t look too bad
It’s also slightly brighter than the versions you rendered before, but that’s perhaps to be expected with the indirect light not clamped

EDIT: nice to see that it definitely reduces noise in this scenario as well

Is a working build available to download from somewhere?

Unless pixelgrip uploaded it somewhere, not yet I don’t think. They built that Blender version themself.
In a couple days this should change though

I could upload the build at graphicall.But i am not sure what files are needed for running.Have not uploaded a Blenderbuild before.

I think you basically just put it all in a folder and zip it up? Usually the entire Blender folder goes into those builds.

But if that’s too much of a hassle, waiting just a couple more days is probably also fine

Cheers. I don’t mind waiting a few days. Was just wondering if it was already uploaded somewhere. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have uploaded the path guiding build.Can someone check if its running? @kram10321

7 Likes

Seems to work, thank you!

I think it only works with CPU for now right

Btw, you uploaded this with AgX and without Filmic.
Not a problem to me but I’m guessing that might confuse some people who aren’t yet aware of AgX.

1 Like

Yes its CPU only now.
I think we should make a new thread in the test section, for further renderings to not clutter the thread here.

I created a new thread in the test section.Maybe a moderator want to push the path guiding testrenderings in this new thread,to clean this a bit up.

3 Likes

something a little more fun:

pg off:

pg on:

All my beauty and the beast fan art will be much easier to render now! :stuck_out_tongue: :rose:

7 Likes

Ok based on this one scene at least, it looks like it takes about 50% longer to render, which is quite a lot, but then it really isn’t, considering it’d have taken literal ages to render this with that much clarity before. If it had ever happened.
This is a huge step forward. Very glad Cycles is getting this!

6 Likes

Not only that, but this is using an early version of OpenPGL. If it goes the same way as OIDN, then we should only see better results in the future (in the same timeframe).

1 Like

Trying to do prism caustics

MNEE was not capable of doing this

Also it seems for now MNEE and Path Guiding are not working together just yet, as enabling MNEE will cause some PG caustics to disappear.

Imagine having future spectral branch with dispersion along with this. This is cool.

2 Likes

In order to get a better sense of what PG has to offer compared to what’s there today, it would be better to use the “Time Limit” option for rendering instead of the sample count. Compare what a 1 minute render looks like with PG off and then on etc. It will also help you discover cases like you observed above where the cost per sample is higher with PG etc.

It will yield better insight into the actual cost for typical scenes and is much more relatable since sample counts vary from scene to scene. All that matters sometimes is that you have a budget of “x” for each frame, so evaluate what can be achieved after rendering for “x” time.

2 Likes

Time Limit 60 seconds:
Without PG:

With PG:

Without PG with MNEE:

With PG with MNEE:

MNEE overwrites the refractive result when both PG and MNEE are on. And MNEE is not finding the right path I think, MNEE is producing the wrong result. This is rather interesting.

6 Likes

What is MNEE?

This should be posted as bug report,if the branch gets into the master.
The refraction calc inclusive the ray exit angle should be not that hard.

Since @sherholz is working on this PG,maybe he is not aware of the nested dielectrics problem.If this gets fixed too, it would increase the realisim of lighttransport in glass and liquids even more.

Manifold Next Event Estimation…essentially, it’s a caustics solver. It was added to master as a “shadow caustics” feature a few weeks ago.

1 Like

What should be a bug report?

Path Guiding is finding the correct result while MNEE is struggling, I don’t understand what bug report can be made from this?

(Also just to clarify, Path Guiding is also struggling in some cases where MNEE shines)