Cycles X Explosion 4K Video

Trying out Cycles X in Blender 3.0:

Only 16 samples with Open Image Denoising. Around 1 minute 10s render time per frame on a 3090, at a cropped UHD resolution of 3840x1648 px. Lighting is done with the Nishita Sky Texture. Grading is done in Davinci Resolve. Simulated in Embergen 0.7.5.2 and exported to Blender as an openVDB sequence. Sound effects obtained from https://www.zapsplat.com

Comments & Critics welcome

16 Likes

Amazing!!!

1 Like

:+1:
Great work, congrats.

1 Like

Good work, but i don’t see the necessary increase in speed that cames up with an explosion of that size. I think it needs to be faster.

1 Like

@Franco_Caserta @anon18318387 thank you!

@Bullit I see that is a good point. I referenced a couple of explosions, including the one from spectre. I found the one from spectre to be useful both because it is a real explosion and because it was shot on cinema cameras. A lot of the explosions I found were shot on phones which was not the video look I was going for, so the spectre one was useful in that regard. I compared them after reading your comment and I think you are right it could be a tad faster : youtube spectre explosion

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

thank you Bart! :confetti_ball: have a nice weekend

1 Like

Nice work on the fire simulation.
Just a few things. The time difference between seeing the explosion and hearing it is too long. From what I counted there is a 4 second difference. Considering that the speed of sound is 340m/s, that would mean this explosion is 1.36Km away. The camera seems to be quite close to the explosion.

Some small detail you may want to look into adding. Considering the size of the silos, an explosion this large would disturb the dirt around it, you could add some dust particles being pushed away by the force of the explosion/shockwave. You could also have dust being blown off the nearby silos. The silos closest to the explosion could shake or vibrate just a little bit. I noticed some smaller items on the floor maybe they could get pushed a little out of position. When the sound does occur maybe add a little bit of camera shake (try to find footage from helicopters near explosion to know how much to add).

I hope this helps.

1 Like

The time difference between seeing the explosion and hearing it is too long.

That is a very good point for the distance and sound delay, I will keep that in mind for next time and do a rough calculation to have it be more realistic. The camera shake from the blast is also a good idea.

you could add some dust particles being pushed away by the force of the explosion/shockwave. You could also have dust being blown off the nearby silos.

Definitively that would make sense and add to the realism. I believe I would have to simulate this separately in Embergen and then import another VDB sequence. I wonder how Cycles would handle the rendering of interesecting VDBs :thinking:

1 Like