Well, actually, I’ve been asking this question myself a lot :o
I think of recreating the real string’s structure (to a certain degree, of course, not everything is visible). Cylinder cut in half and wrapped around virtual core. I’m not sure about the proper method for that, though. I experimented a bit with a curve and array modifiers, but for now I didn’t manage to come up with a satisfying result. We’ll see.
edit: Well, I did manage to get satisfying result… 200k polygons per string :spin: I’m going to leave it for now and depending on the final scene I will decide if it needs to be reduced. Well, in fact, I’m still going to use my brother’s desktop with Nvidia GPU on board for rendering (if he allows me to do so, of course ), so rendering time shouldn’t be dramatic.
If anyone would be interested, this is how the detailed string looks like:
For the string to be of the proper length, the repetition number in the array modifier settings has to be set at about 2300…
edit2: Now i realised that all that struggle was completely unnecessary… Using reasonable resolution (let’s say, 1920x1080) and filling the whole image with the model itself (take a look at my last update) these things are barely visible. And in the final scene the guitar will be smaller, so lack of the geometry on the lower strings is not going to be a problem at all. If I was going to make any closeups, I’d have to use more detailed parts, but for now - I don’t think so, especially that the headstock and body textures are not really detailed enough to be used in extreme closeups. So the problem is solved for now - regular cylinder strings, with a different material, to distinguish the plain steel ones from the lower ones, which are nickelplated.
As you can see, I’m too tired to write anything sensible Have to get some sleep… Exams are exhausting for sure…