Dance of the Little Swans

Here is my entry for this month’s AnimChallenge run by the Agora Community. The theme for September 2023 is ‘Talent Show’. I had a lot of fun making this- a lot of the time was spent questioning my sanity, but I enjoyed it all the same.

This is the cycle I made for the start of the animation- i wanted plenty of secondary anim on the boas and balloons so that it all looked a bit crazy and haphazard. I wanted it to give the impression that this guy is completely deluded about how his invention looks- that it maybe isn’t as graceful and elegant as he thinks, but I also wanted it to still feel quite creative and inventive, if perhaps a bit amateurish.

CygnetCycle

Some stills:

I made the balloon burst with a series of modelled shapes and animated their visibility.
littleSwans_balloonBurst

Rig Demo: This was a very complex rig (for me) made with Auto Rig Pro and the Wiggle Bones addon. I had a lot of problem solving to do in terms of figuring out how the different parts of the character worked together- I was essentially rigging a rig :sweat_smile: A LOT of Wiggle bones added that extra layer of realism to the secondary anim.

To save time on the character model, I repurposed the Ortiz rig from Mixamo. I applied new procedural textures and re-sculpted him to make him less muscley. I also moved his arms down to more of an A Pose as I knew his bulk could be an issue during deformation. I decided that as the anim didn’t require him to raise his arms, that A pose was more beneficial than T Pose. I also stripped out the mixamo skeleton and started fresh with Auto Rig Pro.

41 Likes

That’s hilarious. Well done!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Such a good animation. Very clever idea :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you very much!

I love it! you can really feel the character’s disappointment even without being able to look at his expression

1 Like

Love it!! :blue_heart: We need a golden buzzer one too, but please don’t kill the guy :saluting_face:

1 Like

Ha, thank you! Sometimes there’s value in keeping the mask on

That was brilliant!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Really cool man. I love it

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Amazing! I’m sure he still did better than most!

1 Like

He came 4th, unfortunately- narrowly losing out on a place in the final. The eyeball came 3rd, found stardom, made millions, got into drugs and has a tell-all netflix documentary out next year.

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you very much! You too!

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you!