Dark glass in cycles render

Hello! I’m trying to get back into 3D art after a long, long break, and to relearn my way around Blender I decided to follow a tutorial. After completing the tutorial I decided to try to make a glass with a transparent texture using the glass surface in the new (to me) cycles render.

The glass comes out extremely dark. At first I thought it might be a lack of light, so I created another light source. Not solved. Then I thought it may be the environment, so I created a room instead of a single plane. Still not solved. I’m completely baffled, does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Here is a picture of the glass in its current state:

well transparent is not totaly clear glass

show us nodes set up!

for clear glass use glass node
or combine glass and transp node !
also check all normals !

happy cycles

Here’s a screenshot of what I’ve got and the dark glass after playing around with it a little more… I’ll try the glass/transparency combo.

Since I don’t remember having ever worked with dark glass, I made some tests.

The material is the plain default Glass shader. I just changed the color. (Really needs more samples and some trick to simulate absorption…) It looks like you must not go below 0.5 for the RGB components or the glass loses all its properties.

From left to right, RGB set to 0, 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 and 1.

I guess that if you can’t get the color as dark as you want, it’s better to forget the Glass shader and to re-build it with transparency, diffraction and gloss.

i think your talking here about the color intensity not the RGB values

and to get a refraction effect you need to have thickness not only one layer of glass!

happy cycles

@RickyBlender: No, I’m really talking about RGB values. It looks like to be the same than the Value in HSV… But I wouldn’t swear it. I never work in RGB, seldom in HSV. Only Hex values talk to an old-school guy like me when it comes to colors. :eyebrowlift:

And I don’t think the part about the thickness is addressed to me…

This helped me, thank you. I didn’t realize I had the color set to something other than pure white… What a silly mistake.