Dark Woods

Hello fellow Blender Artists! This is my first post, so I hope I’m doing everything right.

I put together this quick scene from assets I’ve made in the past to test a simple dot shader I’m working on. Nothing fancy, but I think I’m getting somewhere.

Still frame:

Viewport:

Shader node tree:

Animation:

Scene breakdown:

Let me know what you guys think!

42 Likes

Wow this has a great atmosphere to it, I love how you blended the figure on rocks into the scene, it’s really is a nice touch, looks like part of the vegetation until it becomes clearer.

The way you’ve achieved a shimmering sort of look by multiple color ramps on the voronoi texture is really clever too, I’m working on a project with a similar sort of dark atmosphere + stipple effect using voronoi but I wish I could have accomplished something as stylish :smiling_face_with_tear:. Good job.

1 Like

cool art style

2 Likes

Thanks! I wasn’t expecting such a nice comment.

Yeah, I’ve always liked stippling art and since I started working in blender I’ve been trying to recreate this kind of style in 3D.

When it comes to nodes, it’s still a bit of black magic to me, lots of trials and errors to achieve what I want. I’m still working on getting more control over shading and lighting effects with more or less success.

Feel free to try out this node setup and good luck with your project!

Thank you! Still refining it :wink:

Nice concept!, you may want to work a bit around the lighting on the “Gollum” like character, I didn’t realize it was there until I saw your viewport capture, same for the skulls.

I like the breakdown of the elements falling down to the scene, how have you done that in Blender ? is there any add-ons for it?

Cheers!

1 Like

I intentionally made the creature and the skulls less visible at first glance to emphasize that something might be lurking in the darkness. But maybe you’re right and I overdid it a bit. Thanks for the feedback!

As for the falling animation, I simply created two location keyframes on the object. One at the beginning of the timeline with the object raised on the Z-axis outside the camera view, and the second one with the object’s base position at the end of the timeline.

Seems like a lot of work for dense scenes, however it works very well at the breakdown video.
Thanks.

1 Like

Yup, not the most efficient workflow, but for simple scenes like this, it’s enough :wink:

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks Bart :smiling_face:

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like