Daz to Blender Bridge for blender 3.0+14 new features

Daz’s official bridge is not updated. Check this for more detail:

So, I updated the official Bridge, with 14 new features and 3 bug fixing.

With this one, you can export Daz model from blender with all textures correctly, so you can use Blender as a Daz Converter for any 3D tool

Key new features:

• Importing Pose by selecting Tip Image file

• Importing animation from .duf file, animation will be on a new NLA tracker as a clip

• Merge eyelashes into body mesh, so you can export morphs from blender to other 3D tools.

• Set position and rotation for env props like lights.

• Re-write material function, now it converts Daz’s shader to Principled BSDF shader. So you can export all textures from blender.

• Convert Bump to Normal Map when importing, if you want

• A lot of new options for importing

Check it here:

Screenshot:

Viewport Display with Eevee:

5 Likes

Would or could you add the import of the Genesis 8 or 8.1 Face controls, and have them functional?
So far there is an extremely complicated a time-consuming workaround of assigning as a custom shape as you have done in this update.

Hi, this addon comes with custom shape controls for both facial and body. That is done by Daz official, I didn’t touch that code.

If you like Daz’s Face Control, you can always use it in Daz Studio, then save your motion into .duf pose file. This addon can import animation from .duf pose file. Well, only with bone’s motion

One of the biggest issues I had with Daz’s Bridge was the loss of morphs/shape keys after saving in Blender and re-opening. I posted to the Daz forums about it but never got an answer.
Has this been addressed?

Yeah, the problem there is you have to select the bone till they are visible and you can’t grab them to pose your character…

And also when selecting Morphs to export they don’t get exported to Blender, the two files I exported Yesterday were imported with no shape keys what ever…
The older version worked far better, exporting morphs to shape keys.

A lot of problems exporting Characters from Daz and getting it into Blender with the proper materials as well… it seems to ignore, for instance, a hair shader and just send the default…
So for the time being I will continue to use the FBX exporter…

I’m not sure how it is possilbe that shape keys could dissappear after re-open. But with this update, default setting does not use drivers for shape key.

So, your shape key will always be there after re-open.

Good to know, thanks.
What I was referring to (should have explained better) - In Blender, the tool panel in the Bridge addon has the morph sliders that are imported from Daz. They work perfectly until you save, close, then re-open the file; the sliders are no longer there. It’s been a while since I played with the Bridge so I didn’t know if it was still happening, and like I said, Daz never addressed this.

That thing is driver for shape keys, not the real shape key.

The real shape keys are on the body mesh, not on the addon panel.

And those drivers are not gone. You need to know how to use this addon:

There is a refresh button on addon panel, click that so it will scan your Daz model in your scene.
refresh

Then you will have a list of all the Daz models in the scene.
list

Select the one you want to use Drivers, now they display.
morphs

This is how this addon works. You need to refresh and select the Daz model in this list, then addon will know which model you want to apply pose, animation or drivers.

Ah - I’m dumb. Thanks.

So I have a bit of a weird problem (at least for me since I can’t really work it out). I’m having problems importing characters into Blender that were manually posed in Daz. For some reason in several different characters legs didn’t get across right regardless if it was static or skeletal mesh. Legs always somehow end up messed up. However if I try to import a preset pose, it works. Not sure how to go about that…

Import your figure to Blender with default pose, then import the pose or animation you want

For some reason when I save the pose and import it, it also doesn’t work so I gave up on that.

Hi, can you please confirm for the users which DAZ models are tested for importing poses?
I found a guy stating only Gen 3 and Gen 8 work with bridge. As far as posing go that appears to be true because I can’t find a way to transfer poses for Gen 1 and Gen 2 with the bridge plugin.

My finding so far are:

• Gen 3 & 8
    Bridge transfers clothes and hair.
    Preset poses - Bridge import options works.
    Custom poses - Bridge won’t import them at all. I have to use “Diffeomorphic plugin” Import Pose to import custom poses. There appears to be a difference between how DAZ writes a Preset pose and how DAZ writes user saved pose. Bridge can’t distinguish that, but in DAZ, custom saved poses work just fine (meaning it’s either the bridge or how DAZ writes them).

*You can transfer posing but only if the model is without clothes and then it has some mismatching to DAZ. Sending model to Blender posed without clothing is more or less useless, but it can do that.

• Gen 1 & 2
    Bridge transfers clothes and hair
    I can only import poses via “Diffeomorphic plugin” albeit with a bit of a mismatch sometimes. Bridge doesn’t want to have anything to do with Gen 1/2 poses.

*You can transfer posing but only if the model is without clothes and then it has some mismatching to DAZ. Sending model to Blender posed without clothing is more or less useless, but it can do that.

This bridge only works with G3 and G8

Thanks. Is it possible to fix the Bridge to import custom poses from Daz for 3 & 8 ? If it can be imported via Diffeomorphic there is no reason for Bridge not to be able to the same. Also it would mean that the import feature set would be “complete” this way.

Also, are there any further improvements in the works pls?

This version is for who want to export Daz model from Blend to other 3D tools, which diff daz import can not do. If you only use Blender, diff daz import is better.

I use only Blender and wanted to use Bridge as a connection with DAZ. Diff is a complicated plugin. Right now I’m using both combined.

Does that mean bridge will not be updated in the future?

Diff daz importer has a very good document to learn, very easy to read. So it is not complicated as it looks like. If you only use Blender, you better learn it.

This modified DTB version(Now it is renamed to DFB) will keep on merging all new features from Official DTB into it. But won’t add any new feature by myself anymore. You don’t see it being updated, becasue the official DTB is not updated for half year.

By the way, pose preset file and animation can be imported perfectly with this addon. We write it very clearly about how to use it in this project’s github document page. There is no reason as “Custom pose doesn’t work”.

Hi, thank you for the reply. I know how Diff. works. It’s a hassle compared to yours. That’s why I was asking whether Daz importer will be updated with some functionalities Diff importer has (importing Gen 1/2 poses).

As far as custom poses, I will look at documentation again but so far it doesn’t really work.

What is Daz? the model look nice; can we use it for commercial purposes?