De Chomón - my contributions

Between end of 2022 and spring 2023 I had the honors to contribute to the short film “De Chomón” by Carlos López, in collaboration with Polygonal Factory.

Carlos was exceptionally open to ideas and suggestions, so I ended up doing much of Segundo de Chomón’s, and basically all the foreground character designs. Carlos contributed costume/clothing, I did all the rest, and I could also put a cartoon shader I had worked on before, to good use during this project.

Finding a stylization for Chomón has been a lot of fun, and, as he’s such an iconic character, almost intuitive:

The process:
chomon-scribbles

The one I ended up with:

First test I did, primarily tested the cartoon shader and general idea of the look (bicycle asset by Carlos, rigged by me):

Also, it tested a fast workflow - the background consists of simple models textured with CC0 stock textures, to which the shader added a cartoony, hand drawn appearance.

In the end, we had full models for everything though.

Background assets: full model of the Basílica del Pilar in Zaragoza! - by Carlos, animated Platanus trees by my wife

It was a great project honoring a great movie pioneer, and great people to work with, and I hope the short will be a success. Maybe enough success to get funds for a full feature at some point, as the whole team hopes. :slight_smile:

PS:
apologies, turns out I was too quick to post the animation, had to take the link down for the moment. Will add it later again, or make a new post.

4 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you!!!

1 Like