Dealing with Aces , AGX, Srgb

I vote to leave AGX as an experimental option until the wider community can give feedback on AGX vs Blender-AGX. If other big league software is officially integrating AGX it makes no sense for Blender’s to look different from everyone else.

To that point, I shared this channel elsewhere before (and in fact, this is the very same PIXAR colorist who once had too red curtains) but this channel is great

Color are never ever what you think they are. Especially so in context.

4 Likes

NPR, NPR artists, 2D painting programs, NPR, NPR :wink:

1 Like

So? How is that relevant? I don’t care if the perception can be tricked in certain situations.

In my view, it doesn’t need to be experimental. I have no problems if it is in Blender as is, just not as default.

It’s not really a “trick” though. It’s kinda the opposite, that color systems don’t correctly take into account how you perceive.

3 Likes

My point is, it is not relevant for the use case I am constantly bringing up. Which is apparently a bad one because only clueless users are using it (not your words).

I pick an sRGB color that I am seeing on my screen, because that’s the kind of tint I want the object to have.
Then the rendered sRGB I am seeing on my screen is completely off. And to be clear, I have already considered that the initial tint I gave the object is going to be lit within the scene and all that stuff. With that, I can easily go from red to orange.
If the view transform is useful, fantastic. Don’t make it the default.

I think depending on what kinds of pictures you are picking from, the issue there comes down to something that happens before you even get to color mangement at all. (I’d have to see your specific workflow to be sure about that though)

Namely, if you pick from a photo, that’s gonna have not just color management but also lighting and what not already baked in!
You’d have to somehow pick the “raw” color that corresponds to a single bounce of “white” light. Which, in practice, you can never really do.

The situation is different in an NPR setting with a specific constrained color palette in mind, but in that setting you indeed are likely going to need something other than AgX. You’re also most likely not using Cycles for that sort of work either

And I put “white” in quotes because there kinda isn’t even such a thing either. You’d specifically want whatever light you get from a single bounce when you shine Illuminant E on it, which is basically just a completely flat equal energy spectrum within the visible range. And that doesn’t account for things like fluorescence which is an important factor in particularly saturated colors (and also particularly bright white objects)

Except then stuff gets shifted to the scene white point which isn’t Illuminant E, so further complications

If DeepBlender was arguing about AgX not being good for NPR, I would say nothing. AgX not being designed with specifically NPR in mind is a valid point.

If a users picks as color red and inarguably gets something that looks orange, that’s garbage from a usability point of view. And it is garbage as a default.

This on the other hand out of NPR context is simply nonsense.

3 Likes

I don’t pick from a photo.

so what do you pick from? A color key?

1 Like

A view transform is a combination of artistic choices. Sure, you can consider many different aspects.
I am arguing that a view transform without more consistent hue shifts is a more reasonable default.

Indeed- hence why I’ve made no comments about AgX (other than that I like it for a non-NPR workflow), because NPR is a entirely different world, and that’s my sphere of expertise

It depends. There is no fixed workflow, because it involves a lot of experimenting. You can think of it as a prototyping kind of thing, where you have constant changes everywhere, where the importance is predictability and intuitive usage where you can essentially pick a color and you have a rough idea of what is going to happen to it.

What’s the context here? What are you talking about? NPR, or photorealistic rendering?

This is probably too much to ask but I’d really like a demo of your workflow. Perhaps there is something that can help

1 Like

Yes, DeepBlender, what is the workflow? What is the context where AgX is so bad for you? I don’t think every Blender user shares this context.

Creating generic PBR based materials/objects that can be reused in many contexts, not just in Blender.

So PBR and color picking? Really?

1 Like

Not sure if serious.

1 Like