Decal On The Shell Addon

Decal On The Shell is a new modeling tool for creating decals. Blender 3.0+.

Documentation
Discord Server

Shops:

Videos:

Pics:
v1_1
v1_2
v1_3
v1_4

9 Likes

looks interesting. The name is most curious.

2 Likes

As it seems the decals are actual geometry. And it is interesting how they preserve their cavities when ‘glued’ on the surfaces of other geometries. Is it something achieved through the use of ‘shrinkwrap’ modifier?

Can you put a close up mesh screenshot please? It would be good for understanding what is going on.

I am not asking for learning the ‘secrets’ of the add-on (I do not know anything from programming after all). I just am asking for being sure of its working way, for deciding to buy it or not. :slightly_smiling_face:

There is no big secret but the addon uses GN nodes and modifiers. And all is done for you, artists.

It’s possible to bake curvature using normal map without a highpoly mesh in Substance Painter. Not a big deal.

3 Likes

When I said ‘some close up views’ I ommited to say ‘in wireframe’. It is my fault, sorry! :slightly_smiling_face:

But anyway, the answer is clear. Thanks!

Ok.

2 Likes

This is very helpful. Thanks again! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey! Decals aren’t wrapping to the surface for me. The DOTS_Decal modifier has a message that says “Node group has undefined nodes or sockets.” Also, the DOTS_Transfer modifier says “Source or destination object has a high poly count, computation might be slow.” The target mesh is less than 400 faces so that seems odd.

Thanks!

Hi, are you using blender 3.0?

Don’t worry about high polycount.

New update is coming soon. This time it will be in a different style.

1 Like

Hey Artists,

Decal On The Shell V020 has been released with some antique things. Enjoy!

v1_4

3 Likes

Hmmm this might not be bad for adding bake details. I’m guessing details you make need to have a some what uniform amount of geo to bend correctly ?

How do materials work with decals ?

Hey,
You can bake using any software. Blender/painter/marmoset.
Any material can be applied to decals. No restrictions. Just a couple of clicks.

And yeah, all you need is just some meshes with SubD modifier and the addon. There are 2 sets Scifi and Antique. You can create your own sets and add them to the addon easily.

1 Like

Hey Mifth, if you make a small but step by step video tutorial on how someone can produce his own decals and use them it will be very helpful.

Thanks!

Sure.

1 Set transfer weights. This is optional.

2 Add an empty Geometry Nodes Modifier before the subdivision. Call it DOTS

3 Create a collection with the same name as a Blend file and put your Blend file to addonPath/DecalOnTheShell/Decals_Sets

DONE.

3 Likes

It looks very easy. Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey @mifth ,
Very cool addon, Got it on Gumroad.
Love it. Awesome that it works on curved surfaces.
Been using it a bit for two days when I’m awake. Need lots of sleep.

Anyway, I’m not a “Who” fan and am just building this Tardis to show some folks
topology type stuff.

3 Likes

Hey it looks awesome!

2 Likes

Hey Mifth, I am following all the instructions but instead of appearing the selected decal there appears only a dot on the selected object. What may be going on? I am working on the latest official version of Blender.

1 Like