DECALmachine

Simply fantastic!!! Great!

Edited: I shall read the damn install instructions !

Anyways, your Addon is fantastic ! :slight_smile:

Attachments

ā€œRemove user decal from libraryā€ feature is needed.

Wierd bug:

https://youtu.be/5PCM5As3Yq4

cube.blend (1020 KB)

Thank you, great addon anyway.

About the 2 panel decal cut into each other.

Blender has a mesh operation called ā€œPokeā€.

Very useful in this situation.

It basically divide a quad into 4 triangles evenly at the cost of 1 extra vertex in the middle of the quad.

Now, itā€™s an easy test which triangle is not needed. And why not automate the process. Going in there manually takes a good 10 seconds for each intersection.

If the 2 panel cut shares the same material and is of similar width, then it should blend perfectly together.

Iā€™m investigating whether the decals created can inherit the custom normal/split/sharp from the mesh.

Note:
Just realized the proposed implementation can be tricky. The position of the panel cut is very important. The location of cuts may not be topologically viable for Poke operation. Iā€™m going to research more about it.

Blender version? DM so far supports the stable releases, the latest of which is 2.78c.

2.78c

Can you give me another blend where it fails? It works fine for me in the blend you supplied. Does it always fail for you or just in certain cases?

Your existing panel strips have loose, unconnected parts. Remove those double verts and try again.

Ok, I can confirm this is a reproducible issue. Iā€™ll make panel transition auto-remove doubles in the next update.

For the future, please report issues via email.

Hello,

Just want to say I am VERY impressed by the potential of this tool!

I just downloaded, but I cannot get the pie menu buttons to appear for me. Iā€™ve attached a picture. Please help.

There is a chance I did something stupid, as I accidentally put the files somewhere other than roaming data just a few minutes ago and had to figure that out.

I have 350 hours on the steam version of blender, but this is a fresh blender install from their website for testing. But a lot of the user preferences did carry over since they are in roaming.

Edit 5 minutes later: Nevermind, I think I found it, I needed to select the object as well as the sticker :slight_smile:

Documentation, read it and watch it.

This is how you report issues (not here!)

Sketchfab works surprisingly well with decals, did not expect that.

Works beautifully, no shadow or z fighting issues at all! Of course thereā€™s no material matching as its not deferred and Iā€™m not going to bother with individualized textures for material matched decals (for now).

If you can live with plain materials, this is as easy as it gets. All materials are set up automatically. Even the zip is generated by DM.All you have to do is export and upload it.

https://sketchfab.com/models/6b78c4fa8bf0431cb8b7cd087ba797dd

Also, Iā€™ve learned HLSL and have created a bunch of shaders targeted at DECALmachine users bringing their assets into Unity. Here Iā€™m demoing earlier version of them:

Turns out baking down decal normals is indeed possible:

I can confirm now, that baking decals down will be possible in 1.4. All decal maps, ao, curvature, height, normal, alpha, subset mask and color can be baked down directly in DM in blender. The resulting normal map is very flat and so can easily be combined with any existing normal bakes(such as from a high poly source mesh).

This feature has been asked about a lot - but Iā€™ve always downplayed it because I was focused on the deferred decal worlkflow in combination with custom vertex normals myself. However, baking decal maps down is also very useful for this workflow, as you can use baked down ao or curvature maps to generate wear masks for the base mesh etc.

Furthermore, the baking down of decal normals could be used to more or less side-step or at least vastly simplify the highpoly to lowpoly workflow.

In any case this is IMO super interesting and has a lot of potential.

Yes yes yes! Fantastic news! :smiley:
CanĀ“t wait for this update, thanks for making this addon mister!

Are you baking with cycles or blender internal?

I ask because I got it to bake nicely with BI, required baking 2 maps + a mask and compositing them but it worked. Problem is afaik thereā€™s no way to use an external cage for BI which can sometimes be a problem with some meshes.

Blender Internal. I think(I hope) cages are not needed for the decal baking use case, as the decal geometry is following the base mesh surfaces very closely already and so you can bake with minimal distance. Will do some more testing and will also expose the distance setting. Also, I do support doing multiple bakes of separate objects - that all share the same texture - via ā€œbakedowngroupsā€. This should allow for the necessary planing to avoid tricky baking situations.

Yes, the alpha masking of the resulting bakes is next on my todo list. It seems necessary, but is trivial to automate, so no issues there.

Sounds good. I suppose for situations where a cage is an absolute necessity then using xnormal is still an option too and easier now that youā€™ve got atlasing.

Glad to see so much great development into this addon. It was already pretty awesome, now its getting amazing!

On the subject of baking, when the decal creation video talks of it, it simpls says bake a curvature map, can you explain the process for baking out the required maps? I have only baked in cycles and have no idea how to go about it in BI. Also, I donā€™t actually see a curvature or ID option in bake so presumably there is more to this than a simple bake action.

Iā€™m not sure I get you you mean. Are you talkng about decal creation? In that case you donā€™t need to deal with the baked maps, itā€™s done automatically in the background. Curvature maps for individual decals are packed into the ao_curv_height maps.

As for baking decal maps down to a base mesh, thatā€™s an upcoming feature of the 1.4 release.

p.s. Or maybe you are specifically talking about using existing bakes for batch decal creation? In this case, please refer to other tutorials out there.
My preferred method of baking is via substance designer. Not sure about baking curvature maps in blender itself. I think it can by done in cycles via the pointyness node or something like it?
DECALmachineā€™s instant decal creation builds curvature maps from normal maps, in a method similar to this node editor approach: https://blender.stackexchange.com/a/72602/33919
I basically broke that node tree down and replicated it in PIL.

Yeah, itā€™s about baking within Blender, The bake of an ID map and curvature is not something Iā€™ve seen in Blender. Could be itā€™s strictly a Substance Designer thing, which is out of my reach.