Decimate modifier kills my uvs! What are my options?

Title says it all. I have high res model with nice uvs, but when I apply a decimate modifier it obliterates them.

Is there any way I can run decimate and still preserve uvs? If not, are there any workarounds?

Thanks!

Use the poly reducer script in blender 2.49, this has an option to preserve your uvs

I read about that and looked for it in 2.49 but couldnt find it. Is it included with 2.49? Im a little fuzzy on how to use external scripts, especially in 2.49. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a standard script that comes with 2.49 in a scripts window select it from the mesh scripts

Ok, I found it and tried it on my mesh. It just gave me a python error and told me to check the console. I checked and the only thing it says is “ImportError: No module named functools”

I thought it could be something with my mesh, but I tried it with a simple subdivided cube and got the same error. Am I doing something fundamentally wrong here?

The poly reducer script works good for me, not sure why you have an error even with a subdivided cube.

While most of the scripts from 2.49b may not need it, maybe the poly reducer is one of those that could require a specific version of Python installed (unlike 2.5 and 2.6 , Blender 2.49b didn’t came with Python in it, you had to install it)

The version of Python that Blender 2.49b expect is Python 2.6.2 :

It will work too with Python 2.6.6 (as it’s what i had installed)

(don’t use 2.7 or 3.x as Blender 2.49b will not find them)

Woohoo! That worked! I had to install python 2.6.6. Thanks a ton for the help!