Deep Down

Full Blender process, here are some images I did for a personnal project.

Little story behind : For 3 generations, survivors have made their home in the depths of an abandoned quarry, seeking refuge from the horrors that unfold above ground.
The quarry, now partially flooded, serves as their sanctuary. The damp walls are lined with weird looking mushrooms, a crucial food source for the group.
These people live in constant fear of the unknown terror lurking above, only venturing out when absolutely necessary. Every day is a struggle, as they try to maintain their quiet, hidden lives while dreading the possibility that whatever they fear might one day discover their sanctuary.

Some passage where the light barely hit the ground are perfect to grow exoplanet fungus, multipurpose shrooms

The Ai-bots left graphical patterns behind them, digging endlessly

Entry of the colony hidden by a dead vestige of an old digger bot.

Alpha brushes I did with the dynamic paint. Having sculpt brushes like that speeds the process a lot

after a long walk through a tunnel we can see the first basement of the colony

23 Likes

I really like these images.
I really like the lighting and also the subtle printing texture…it remove some of CG feeling.

About the quarry walls, did you manually modelled these?

Thanks a lot man, I actually painted these in photoshop, and used it as displacement maps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

good job man

1 Like

I was suspecting this…nice use of displacement.

Another question: what about the people? are they from a library or made by you?

1 Like

I made these in blender :slight_smile: I should release a tutorial by the end of the year but before I need to ship my next addon ^^
thanks for the kind words!

1 Like

I loved it! Nice job

1 Like

Fantastic job here, atmosphere and mood are really great.
I particularly appreciate the colors as you didn’t overdo the usual green/blue combinations with red/orange lights that we are inundated with lately in this type of images.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks Bart! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: