Delete intersecting Edges

Hi, I want only the outline of the whole (this is a very simplified example, in fact I have a lot of randomly
distributed circles). I thought somehow with Mesh Boolean and its “intersecting Edges” output, but I can’t come to a solution. Thanks for help.

you were part way there… boolean your circles together. next delete edges, using select geometry fed by ‘face neighbors’ of edges > 1. all your interior edges have at least 2 faces, whereas the outline only adjacent to 1 face.

actually, you may not even need to boolean… the join geometry should work i think (without trying it myself) no, rethinking that for half a sec, you need the booleans to add points mid edge at the intersections

Mmmh, no… neither with triangles nor with n-gons I get the right result.

close… try this. :slight_smile:

[i had the wrong name… face .count. by ‘edge neighbors’… rather than ‘face neighbors’ proper]

1 Like

Cool. thank you! <3
If I may ask, would there also be a way to solve this without needing to fill the circles? My patch does have >100000 circles, it would be very hard to apply a face fill…

not that i can think of off hand … we need someway of differentiating the inner edges from the outer edges you want to keep. you >could< determine if an edge is within a polygon with some (not-so-) fun math, but that would be even more computationally expensive than going this route, i’m thinking.

Thank you. Mesh Boolean is unfortunately also very CPU consuming. Well ok, I try my best, at least there is a way.

1 Like

if by chance you only need the static final, you could just apply the geonodes afterward. that way it’s not constantly recomputing it. of course, that won’t help if you’re building up the shape over time, or animating the circles within. :confused:

Yeah that’s anyway the case (I make vector files for plotting). Still, It may compute more than a day, if no crash… Will try it out.

Thanks! It was helpful for me too!
I was able to delete the intersection! Thank you very much!
I’ll try my best to apply it!