Deleting Things in Outliner

I have a simple question, how do you select something in the outliner and delete it? Can I? Because I have tried a lot of things to delete various elements, but most important to me, vertex groups, and none have worked. The outliner seems like it isn’t a tool for accessing and editting your scene, but only looking at it in an overview. It could be a lot more powerful if you could select multiple objects using the standard Shift+Click and Ctrl+Click and then delete them. Anyway, anyone have any answers?

As far as I know the outliner is really just there to get an overview. You can select certain things and they will then be selected in the 3d view and therefore you can select them, go to the 3d view and delete them just as usual but of course that doesn’t work for things that can’t be selected by clicking on them in 3d like vertex groups or materials.

However, I’m not that proficient with those parts of blender. I just tried the exact same thing a few weeks ago and that’s what I concluded from my failed attempts.

I’ve found that in certain cases/situations, you can get a menu containing options to select, unselect, delete, etc.

Aligorith