Delicious Laptop!

Apple’s new intel powerbook replacement came out today. While it’s a bad idea to get this particular incarnation (reliability problems will crop up) I think it’s going to be a kickass machine in 4 or 5 months.

I wonder how much work it will be to port blender OSX to support both PPC and IA32.

I don’t think it’ll need any porting, The OS is the same, so blender will still be using the same system calls etc, the OS will basically be running on a differernt set of hardware drivers.

with that said, the mac OS has been backwards compatible with intel chips for the past 5 years so i think its safe for me to say there is no porting invloved.

also rossetta (or whowever it is spelt) will allow any PPC software to run on Intel without the user knowing or caring.

this will be ok for things like word processing but not really for 3d stuff.

Alltaken

dont eat laptops. :stuck_out_tongue:

As long as the laptop is strawberry dacari flavour I think it will be delicous!!!

ya it looks very nice

alltaken i didnt know u used a mac

i like these new computers as well. i want one :smiley:

Join the group :smiley:

I use them all the time.

Alltaken

Check this out.

It’s basically the same as the MacBook, but with double the RAM, a bigger hard drive, and it’s $400 less. If you upgrade the Macbook to match these specs, the Macbook costs $750 more.

Plus, the Acer is already shipping, and the Apple one is not.

I might get one of these as a college graduation present for my self, and put Linux on it.

one problem…

It’s not running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.4

Mac handles cpu’s and graphics differently. they usually run faster than a windows (ie, mac with a 1.8 GHz is about the same as a pc with 2.8 GHz)

sorry if anyone is against me on this, but i think macs are also built better and look nicer. they are of a higher quality in my opinion. (MY opinion… dont start a flame war!)

i think the main difference is Apple has full control over its production. whereas PC’s come in varying quality from a Lan li case to a $5 POS case.

this lack of control dilutes a brand image of the PC, since people start buying and comparing mroe on price than on fashion.

there are awsome PC’s and their are crap ones. there is Alienware and there is Dell.

Alltaken

No, the problem is that it’s not running Linux, which can be fixed easily. And it can handle running a OS X bootleg if you really want it.

…and I would never buy anything from any company that utilizes vertical integration.

Mac handles cpu’s and graphics differently. they usually run faster than a windows (ie, mac with a 1.8 GHz is about the same as a pc with 2.8 GHz)

That was true when it was PowerPC vs. x86, but that’s not true anymore. The Acer has the same processor as the Apple: the Intel Core Duo.

Also, a Pentium M at 1.8 gHz is as fast as a Pentium 4 at 2.8 gHz.