Dense Smoke Generation in Blender *TUTORIAL AVAILABLE*

Hi all,

EDIT

The tutorial is now up on my website, a little late I am afraid. I have dedicated this particular tutorial to Burns who correctly identified my homage to ‘Rustboy’ by Brian Taylor.

Enjoy

Cog

This has been a useful and productive month. I have over the last few days been working on a Tug character for my feature ‘Cog’. I had to create some rather dense smoke for its stack. Rather than leave it until next month to show progress I thought I would wet your appetite.

http://www.cogfilms.com/images/funnel-teaser.jpg

If you visit my site I have a rather nice cyclic animation of the smoke in motion.

www.cogfilms.com

Tutorial will be on my site on Saturday 5 March 2005…

Cog

what technique do you use to make cycling video. I have a few videos that I would like to have seamlessly loop. Any direction you can send me for help on this in blender?

That is awesome!

:o

:o You seem to come up with a method for everything; great smoke

Hi Cog

Cant wait to see that tut. Was a silent follower of your Nebula tut and I liked the results.
Havent tried your soft body tut yet though.

Question concerning the “Behind the curtain” clip on your site:

Behind the curtain is your Cog Box and what looks like some sort of pile driver cycling through its “pounding” motion.
My question is, could your soft body tut be used to simulate the displacement of air (which would blow the curtain outward toward the viewer) caused by the pounding?

I hope that made sense.

My guess would be cyclic IPO of some sort. Guess we will see in Feb. Cog does a nice job of producing descriptive tutorials. I look forward to it. I’ve been trying to create smoke myself from scratch, but mostly end up with a blob. And then there is catching the house on fire to see what smoke looks like, my wife wasn’t to happy with that.

Sweet!! Best smoke I’ve seen. Give us a tutorial for that and the fire and we’ll be set!!!

Your smoke looks great. Did you use smoke-textured spheres as particles?

Hi choice3D,

I used the Blender sequencer. For many of my concept animations I generate 250 tga frames. That’s 10 sec at 25fps. I then bring these into the sequencer and duplicate another 250 frames and overlap them for a second or so at the end using the cross command. Here’s an image that I hope explains.

http://www.cogfilms.com/images/cyclic-seq.jpg

Of course it only really works if the camera or object doesn’t move around. However, I have used this technique to produce cyclic procedural animations for mapping onto surfaces where I want the texture to repeat.

Hope this helps.

Cog

Hi CDI3D,

I see no reason why not. In my concept I added a simple rotation to give that impression but I could have equally used another displacement wood texture running from the top of the curtain to the bottom. I’ve actually been thinking of generating special blends to restrict movement on things like sails. When I have the chance, or rather the need, I will do some more investigations.

Cog

Hi choice3d,

Just plain and very simple particles, but with added magic that I will detail in February. However, I suspect the effect could be produced in any Blender version back to 2.27.

More in February.

Cog

Really really nice smoke. I thought it was particles. One suggestion maybe add a lattice to contol it as it exists the barrow. It seems to be leaking through the sides and behind the metal barrow. So perhaps with a lattice you could control it until it exited the container. Don’t get me wrong I like it just a suggestion on something I noticed.
Paradox

I actually did a test of my own a few weeks ago to make smoke that looked like it was receiving a lightsource on one side and has shadow on the other. It’s similar to how most games do it now. It’s really simple but very effective. So I’m almost possitive I know what you did but I won’t steal any thunder :D.

i can’t wait till febuary, i wan’t it now :smiley:

incidentallly, i had trouble opening the pop ups on your site using mozilla firefox?

cheers

Hi burns,

I actually use firefox so I would be interested to know what the problem was. I have tried to make the site as cross browser compatible as possible but there are always improvements possible. If it was due to the popup blocker you can change the setting for any site by going to Tools, Options, Web Features and Allowed sites, and entering the site to allow.

Please let me know if it’s another problem.

Cog

I actually use firefox so I would be interested to know what the problem was. I have tried to make the site as cross browser compatible as possible but there are always improvements possible. If it was due to the popup blocker you can change the setting for any site by going to Tools, Options, Web Features and Allowed sites, and entering the site to allow.

Please let me know if it’s another problem.

Cog[/quote]

Hi, i actually design website for a living so i know abit about these things :smiley:

when i click on the pic it comes up with an error “cannot find WWW.tug-funnel.html” i have allowed pop ups for the site but i think it maybe something to do with the single Window extension i am using in firefox?

cool site btw

update- just tried the pop ups on your images page and they worked fine in my browser so it maybe the link on the homepage is wrong?

hope this helps

cheers

The technique of aggressively using the Sequence Editor is one that I have learned out of pure, practical necessity. It’s being used very efficiently here.

It had not previously occurred to me to cross-fade a smoke with itself to smooth out the otherwise-obvious cyclic transition between the start and the end of the loop.

My project consists of kiosk DVD videos which are being prepared on a slow machine. Nonetheless, I can make adjustments to any scene very quickly because it is broken down into many separate parts, each one controlled by a separate copy of the blend file (all of them referring to a base “reference” file). Each camera-angle is treated separately. And all of the shots are built up out of AlphaOver-composited strips. In one shot there are twelve different layers, just to produce the background upon which (in another file) more is composited.

The entire process is driven by Makefiles, an old Unix programmer’s tool (make, on Windows generally known as nmake or bmake) which allows the dependencies among files to be described. Periodically, I just cd to the project root directory, type make, and go to lunch while those parts I have changed, and only those, are automagically rebuilt.

Hi Burns, and all

I’m still at a loss. I have been able to access my site, and the funnel smoke movie from the homepage, from 3 different machines at 2 locations without error.

Have you a proxy running?

Can you access the movies from the movies page?

And finally is anybody else having problems viewing this funnel smoke movie?

Cog

COG, I’m running IE with no problems to accessing your site.